turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

hoeysmom

How long does it take to see a deposit for child support arrears? My child's father is past due nearly $1200 and pays by state DCS . Will his return bring him current?

Does anyone know if the return was filed this year for a previous years refund and my ex and his wife got the letter that the refund was held, will NJ still hold it for 6 months? My exes wife said I should get it by August and it’s almost the end of August ..

How long does it take to see a deposit for child support arrears? My child's father is past due nearly $1200 and pays by state DCS . Will his return bring him current?

Child support is a joke. They want you to do their job for them and when u do. They do nothing.... Yrs ago my bd had 2 jobs. I gave them the names, numbers, addresses, and how much he was getting paid. My son is 15 yrs old, and they are just now putting him on child support. Sept 1st made it one yr since he's been on CS. They only went bk 2yrs and he hasn't gave 2 pennies to rub together. Now my daughter is 13 and that slick {removed} keeps signing promissory letters. Ok how many time's yall gonna let him renege before it's not an option anymore.  Every yr they take his taxes and hold it for 180 days. They were supposed to release 600.00 to me today (180th day) I still haven't received it. CS makes money off of that money, holding it in an account. If child support is for the children why hold money that's rightfully theirs and use that spouse may intercept mess. It does not take 180 days for a spouse to say I want my half of my money. What kills me is when they demand u go comply with your local office, but where is that pressure for the one's who owe money? The rep this am told me the 22nd. Excuse me that's over 180 days. The bastard asked me if he sign over his right's, will i take him off. I said HELL YEA, YOU DONT PAY AS IT IS. TO GET RID OF U ALL TOGETHER IS A BLESSING. He is nasty to my daughter. He picks on her, call her {removed} and just a bully. Hell I offered to pay him to go away. Everytime they finally do something to him, my daughter and I gotta go through bs. I'll let yall know when they finally release that 600. We are almost at 181 days as of midnight.
anth7328

You can get it quicker by calling child support and asking for a waiver for injured spouse form. If the state took it you will get it quicker. But if it came out of your IRS return they hold it for 6 months. That's why why ask for the form.

mdubin419

The only form I see is the injured spouse form which is to give them money back and then send you the rest. I live  in Kansas I’m not going to give him the chance to take it back. I see it posted to my account as received in April but hasn’t been released to me letter said 6 months so guess just stuck waiting. 

The "injured spouse" form does not pertain to your situation if you are waiting for child support that is owed to you.  That form is for married couples when one of them has an outstanding debt for student loans, tax debt, child support, etc. but the other spouse had earnings and wants to shield the portion of the refund that can be allocated to them.  And you are correct--you have to wait for the agency that administers the child support order to send you the money owed to you.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
anth7328

If you owe child support arreage, yes the IRS will take what ever is owed. If the child is not yours, then you are the injured spouse. You will need to fill out that form. I assume they  figure out the difference and it will be refunded to the non-parent.

Hope this helps!

So my ex husband owes me 28K and he said he filed his taxes on April 15th
I got a couple weeks for an answer and then I got 6-8 months wtf I don’t understand

You have to seek help from the agency that enforces child support orders in your locality.  He may have filed a tax return.  That does not necessarily mean he was getting a refund which could have been seized to pay the child support, unfortunately.  Many of these "deadbeat" parents have too little withheld from their earnings to get a refund that the IRS can seize.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

He told me he received the letter that they were taking his income taxes for child support I don't know I was just wondering how long would it take for me receive funds

Thank u
ilovenat1

My ex owes over 17,000, when I log in to child support enforcement portal it does not say anything about the money being there. He filed 5 months ago.
areich17

I have been waiting 4 months and still have not gotten mine. Last time i contacted them they said they didn't see any payment

It generally takes a full 6 months before the dept of revenue releases the money collected for owed support there is not a way around it and there are no shortcuts. I'm sorry folks but it is what it is don't plan on that for 6 months from when it was collected not a big say sooner.
Drago3026

If he is married and filed a joint return it will take 180 days(6 months) before the money is sent to you. It’s called injured spouse. Gives the other partner a chance to separate the refund

I always have to wait 6 months!!!! All because he files jointly with his wife. Its ridiculous!! He never ever pays child support so my son shouldn't have to wait any longer! I still haven't recieved it yet, the domestic worked said I cant get it until September sometime 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies