turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

temekamp

How do I submit a 1040X through TurboTax. The IRS sent me a letter stating that I am eligible for EIC and to submit a 1040X?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I submit a 1040X through TurboTax. The IRS sent me a letter stating that I am eligible for EIC and to submit a 1040X?

Did they change something else that made you eligible?    TurboTax will automatically include EIC if you qualify unless you indicate that you are not eligible.

Online for 2018 ended on Oct 15, 2019. 2018 and earlier can only be amended with TurboTax using the CD/download version installed on a PC or Mac computer.

2019 amended Federal returns can either be e-filed or mailed. 2018 and earlier amended returns can only be mailed. It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS or state receives it.

See this TurboTax FAQ for detailed amend instructions:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

-- Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

You can check the status of the amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after mailing.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
temekamp

They didn’t add anything to my knowledge. They just asked for me to confirm my dependent. I received this letter back in May 2020 and returned it. A day ago I called to check on the status and was told that they did sent a letter and my retuned from was probably missing due to COVID. I was told to submit a 1040x form and it can be done with your software 

First the IRS is not always correct ... the "you MAY be eligible for the EIC" is just to alert you to the possibility.  If you entered the child into the TT program correctly then the proper EIC would have been populated automatically.   Before you do anything ... make sure your original return was filed correctly ... save a PDF of the return and review it carefully.  Next, was the original refund ever issued ?   Until the original return has been fully processed you should not amend the return even if someone at the IRS said to do it ... putting an amended return into the mix prematurely can delay things even longer. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies