turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I obtain a signed copy of my tax return? US Department of Ed is requesting. The one I downloaded from the site was not sufficient.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How do I obtain a signed copy of my tax return? US Department of Ed is requesting. The one I downloaded from the site was not sufficient.

If you need a "signed" copy of your printed tax return, you pick up a blue or black pen and sign it near the bottom by that rather large black arrow next to the words, "Sign Here."
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Are these answers by Turbo Tax staff. They seem horribly condescending answers from people eager to demonstrate their intellectual prowess on a software support forum. I have the same question, is there no electronically signed version? What is being submitted to the IRS?

The electronic file submitted to the IRS is indeed electronically signed but there is no such thing as an electronically signed paper copy when you need to submit a copy to a bank or other lender.  You have to print a paper copy and sign it in ink.  Even if the lender accepts a pdf, you have to sign and scan a paper return.  Lenders, even the US Dept of Ed, don’t have the ability to import the IRS’s unique and specific electronic file format, which is a machine readable XML file, not a human readable tax return.  

Print a copy of the return then sign and date in ink.

There is no "electronically signed" copy available from Turbotax.  They're looking for a new copy with your fresh signature.

Wow a little EA Tech being condescending and frankly rude, I wish I was in charge of Turbo Tax...It's obvious what needs to happen here....I wish this person could sue for humiliation!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies