turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yphelps17
Returning Member

How can I file my taxes if my mother claimed me as a dependent without my permission? I was not under the age of 19 last year. I’m almost 21 years old.

My tax return was rejected because I know she put my SSN and claimed me as a dependent. I don’t know what to do. I also did not attend school full time last year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

How can I file my taxes if my mother claimed me as a dependent without my permission? I was not under the age of 19 last year. I’m almost 21 years old.

You would need to talk to your mother.  Either she or you need to amend the tax return.  If your mom insists to claim you, you would need to amend your return by selecting "Someone can claim me on their return".  If your mom changes her mind, she would need to amend to remove you, then you can re-submit yours later. 

To amend, here is the information:

If you have already filed, you might not be able to go back to change.  You can return to the program to make corrections without amending only if your return is being rejected. If your return is accepted, to change your information, you will have to amend it. You cannot just go back to edit.

If your return got rejected for any reason, you can return to the program to edit the information along with other changes and re-submit it. For instructions, click here Fix a reject 2019.  You do not need to file an amendment 1040-X.

If your return has been accepted, you will have to amend by filing a Form 1040-X.  Click here for instructions Amend 2019.  Please note that you should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  If by editing the information does not change the refund or amount you owe, you do not need to submit the amendment. 

@yphelps17

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Belcher362
Returning Member

What if she refuses to amend 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies