Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I received a LTR 4883C letter from the IRS, and now after proving my identity, my refund according to the IRS, is going to be delayed by 9 weeks. What the heck?

What's the point of using this service if my file will be flagged? I use you every year! Switching next year!
Jda8w

I received a LTR 4883C letter from the IRS, and now after proving my identity, my refund according to the IRS, is going to be delayed by 9 weeks. What the heck?

Turbotax is not going to accept liability in this affair just like the irs will not even acknowledge turbotax. I had a very discouraging phone call with the irs after I verified my identity. I explained the extra steps I was offered by t.t and that I would be calling them(t.t) after I ended my irs call. The agent told me I could call whoever I wanted they are not in charge of that. Basically we are in charge of who we choose to process our returns and if they are flagged well so are we.
Jda8w

Turbotax is not going to accept liability in this affair just like the irs will not even acknowledge turbotax.

Sounds like a lot of people who used TT this year got this letter. I did the same as most of you and got the extra protection. If we use TT next year we wont be buying anything extra since apparently it doesnt work and they dont help you at all even if you buy the service.

I received the dreaded letter yesterday, called, sat on hold and after answering about 10 questions was told I need to go into the local tax office. I have to wait a week just for an in-person appointment and yes, it could be 9 weeks for my refund. I've used TT for 10+ years and never has this happened. I paid over $100 for TT's services and when I called them for assistance, the a$$hole I  I spoke to just said, "that's the government for ya." Thanks for nothing TT.

The same thing happened here. Hey we all have the same issue and Turbo Tax can care less. We all got screwed. Thanks for showing me a date for 21 days thinking it was going to come in by then. Now that we have this group here though it would be great if anyone that  receives there money can update everyone here. I know I will
BennyG

Hi everyone.

My name is Benny, I am a Senior Moderator here on the AnswerXchange forum, and an Official Intuit TurboTax Employee. 

I was affected by that same letter last year after E-filing my return, it is a move on behalf of the IRS to protect taxpayer identities. It didn't matter what software I used, or that I actually worked for a tax software company. 

The IRS simply wanted to confirm it was me that filed my return, so I visited my local IRS office and got the verification instantly. They also advised me that it would process within nine weeks, but it was faster than that in the end.

I just wanted to provide some background on what the letter is, why they are doing it and my personal experience with it. I hope this helps all of you feel more comfortable about the experience and what the IRS is doing.

jbell1031

I received the same letter, did everything they asked and still same thing 9 weeks! I paid for the identity thing with TT as well I'm very upset as well. This is crazy 

budstr

got the same letter today. you are not alone!

That really sucks. TT is gonna say they will assist you and call on your behalf. They'll say they have no control on what Happens to your return once the IRS accepts it. Don't quote me on this, but I'm not sure about TT's options on putting a little hurry the F UP ON IT. They do have a partnership with the IRS but I wouldn't get your hopes on the 9 week changing. Sorry guys.
ernin1982

Hi @jbell1031 any update on yours yet?

I also received the same letter. Called the IRS, had to answer some questions about last year's return & so on... then they say my return may take up to 9 weeks

teshasoul

You guys n gals they have to say 9 weeks. I do this every year including this year and after verification I get deposits within 4-10 days. It's kinda like waiting for something important in the mail and they have to tell you to wait at least 7-10 business days but u get it in 5 days. If they verified you and said okay wait 4 days but it takes 8 days they would have a stampede of angry calls so 9 weeks is their lead way time and unless something else is wrong with your taxes outside of identity you'll get it way sooner.
kathys96

I really hope so because I just received the same letter and need this money for my daughter's surgery. Thank you

Definitely an refreshing answer from someone who experiences this situation often. This is my first time having to deal with an identity verification
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies