Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jeep03dj

Has anyone ever received a refund verification needed letter from Virginia before? It wants images of paystubs and oddly bank statements.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Has anyone ever received a refund verification needed letter from Virginia before? It wants images of paystubs and oddly bank statements.

Do not respond to that letter with what they request.  Instead call the Virginia Department of Taxation (click on the link for additional information).  If they want paystubs and bank statements it sounds like a scam, but you can call the reliable number of the Department of Taxation to find out for sure.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

17 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Do not respond to that letter with what they request.  Instead call the Virginia Department of Taxation (click on the link for additional information).  If they want paystubs and bank statements it sounds like a scam, but you can call the reliable number of the Department of Taxation to find out for sure.

I received a similar letter. It certainly looks legitimate. It asks me to sign in at tax.virginia.gov. If it is a phishing scheme, it's an awfully good one. I uploaded the documents it asked for (W2s and first page of 2017 VA tax return). The infuriating part is that the message received after finishing the upload was that I should expect to wait 6 weeks for a response. Thanks a lot Turbotax. I should have mailed in the return rather than pay $20 to e-file. I am not happy Turbotax!

You can read about the refund verification process at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://tax.virginia.gov/refund-verification-letter">https://tax.virginia.gov/refund-verification-le...>

I Recieved a letter from the Virginia department of taxation today.. and it states for me to go online and verify my identity with a pin they gave me. After i done that it said that i would receive my refund in the following days. Does anyone know how long that is ? I can't find no information on this matter.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I want to be clear.  While it may look and actually be legitimate, call the Virgia Dept. of Taxation first.  If it is an identity verification, the information they are asking for is genuine.  Just make sure no one is spoofing the Taxation Department.

How long did it take after your process? Did it come in a few days

Has anyone had to do identity verification on va tax refund this year 2020..tax year 2019? How long did it take to get your refund after verifying?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

This does appear to be an anti-fraud procedure with VA.  Here is a link with discussion. I do suggest contacting the VA taxing authority to be ensure everything goes as it should.  The agent should be able to explain the normal timeline as well.

bethorman

I've never received anything like this from Virginia before.  They want my SSN, plus they spelled my name wrong.  This is legit?  

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You can find more information about the refund verification letter on the Virginia State Website in the link below:

Refund Verification Letter

@bethorman

I received a refund verification letter for my 2021 Virginia tax return.  I had filed electronically through Turbotax and Virginia accepted the return.  The letter I received appeared legitimate but I called the Virginia Dept. of Taxation phone number in the letter to make sure.  My letter had a correspondence ID #.  That number is important. 

The person with whom I spoke explained the process and said it made no difference that my return had already been accepted.  He indicated that Virginia is being very careful to verify tax return data before issuing refunds.  Obviously, this is to prevent fraud. 

The refund verification letter explains what documents Virginia will need to verify a refund.  The fastest and most secure way is to submit documents online.  This was an easy process. 

I uploaded my documents the day I received the letter and hope to receive my refund soon. 

rrick457

I also received one of these. I submitted the documentation they required nearly a month ago. Every time I check the status of the return, it say my return is still processing. Never had this happen before. I have used TurboTax for several years. Nothing really changed in my status or the amount I made. I am not sure why all of a sudden this was flagged for review. I understand fraud prevention, but they need to have a way to do this much faster! Does anyone know how long it takes after sending in the required information?

When I received my letter from now Virginia Department of taxation, I called and spoke to a live body. The person did not give me any information as to why my particular return was flagged. I have used TurboTax for years and never had any issues until this year. I told this to the tax department representative. He seemed unmoved and offered no explanation. I did not expect one. He did say that the department has to process the refund within 60 days or pay interest. I am not sure when the 60 day tolling period begins. I submitted my documents electronically a week ago. I do not expect a quick response but remain hopeful.

I gathered all documents and scanned them into a file.  I uploaded it to VA Tax Dept. website according to the instructions.  Later, I received a letter from the tax department about my refund.  There was an error in the withholding.  I had withholding from my job and an IRA.  It was simply a math error but VA Tax Dept. provided an accounting with the letter. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies