turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cm2cm2dvm

1040x original amounts are wrong Why?

We have to amend the 2017 return. When you instruct the Turbo tax to amend the return, the federal box on the top shows an amount and the state tax shows zero. should the amount in the federal box also show zero. The amount that is shown is a refund and miscalculates the final result. Also the 1040X original amounts are not the amounts originally submitted. I do not believe that this is correct and probably would confuse the IRS. Please help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When doing an amended return, the meter is reset to zero and may show odd numbers until all of your changes are entered. When you're finished with your changes, the refund meter shows any additional amount owed or refunded to you. This amount is in addition to your original payment or refund shown on your originally filed tax return. 

Please see below for further explanation on how the math works when it comes to amended returns. 

NOTE: The IRS recommends that you wait until you receive your refund (or pay taxes due) from original return before you amend your return. Then you will need to print and mail the amended return. Amended returns can't be e-filed. More details here Can I amend if I already received my refund?

How does the refund math work on amendments?

View solution in original post

41 Replies

This is a bogus answer.  I have found that when amending the original return the values go to $0 and this is correct.  When I try to amend and already amended return the value does not go to $0. This is incorrect and incorrectly calculates the taxes in the second amended return.

I still need an answer as to why the values are not set to $0 on the second amended return.

I had the same problem when amending my 2016 return, and sure enough, it flagged the IRS.  As soon as I select to amend my return, before I make any changes,  the1040x that is generated changes the itemized deduction value in the "original" column A.  The actual original itemized value shows up in the "correct" column C field.  Makes no sense.  I filed anyway and the IRS requested that I correct this problem.  I've downloaded the latest updates, but does not fix the problem.   Sure seems to be a TurboTax bug

Shame on TurboTax for not supporting a second amendment properly.
Shame on you for submitting a form 1040X that makes no sense.
gmccart3a

I am battling the same issue - my original amount column is NOT the original return values for AGI etc.  My amended return is ready to print so all calculations are complete, looks incorrect to me and IRS will reject my amended return.  Help! calling help desk I guess...
gmccart3a

My 1040X orig column values are also NOT equal to my ORIG filing (amended file is error checked & ready to print). Help!  The bogus answer does not address core issue.

Good news, I actually did get someone from support to give me an answer that actually worked.  I had posed another question and the right answer came thru that thread.  I'll have to go back into my email and find it and post it here.

Don't trust my memory but it was something like...   Go into the first amended return and save it as tax return instead of an amended return. (you still should keep the amended since that is really what you filed).  And then you can amend that version correctly.

@johnkralles this is essentially the answer I posted way back. But I could not get it to work.
If you got it to work you should post the exact sequence of steps you used.

I had to amend a 2013 return a second time.  This is what I found.
To do a second amended return you need to use the Desktop CD/Download program installed on your computer.  You start with the first amended return and try to delete the 1040X and state amended forms.   I couldn't make that work so I had to start over with a NEW return.  You need to make a new return that would look like what the return should have looked like after the first amended.  So that will become your new "original" return. You can save the real original return with a new name and update it with the changes from the first amended return so you now have a new "original" return to start with.  Be sure to save several times along the way and make copies to work in, in case you need to start over and try again.  THEN  when you have the new "original" return you can Amend it.  You will probably need to enter all the prior refunds and/or tax due payments directly on the 1040X (and on state) using the Forms mode.  I had to enter both a tax due I paid on the first original return AND a refund from the 1st amended return.  
dwoodard

I'm trying to file an amendment to my 2016 return.   The amended return summary is showing that I took a standard deduction originally which is incorrect, I itemized.  It is also showing an incorrect exemption $ amount.  What do I need to do to get this fixed.  It is not showing the correct net change $ amounts.  Thanks

When doing an amended return, the meter is reset to zero and may show odd numbers until all of your changes are entered. When you're finished with your changes, the refund meter shows any additional amount owed or refunded to you. This amount is in addition to your original payment or refund shown on your originally filed tax return. 

Please see below for further explanation on how the math works when it comes to amended returns. 

NOTE: The IRS recommends that you wait until you receive your refund (or pay taxes due) from original return before you amend your return. Then you will need to print and mail the amended return. Amended returns can't be e-filed. More details here Can I amend if I already received my refund?

How does the refund math work on amendments?
cm2cm2dvm

Thanks for the reply. I understand your reply but my problem is that the federal is reset before I enter the corrections and when I enter the amendment it reduces the amount owed by a refund that was not originally calculated.

Had you initially filed a federal return? Or were you just trying to make changes before you e-filed that return?

If you had not already e-filed, you don't need to amend it, you just go back in and correct what you needed to change. But once you hit "amend" it's going to reset that meter to $0 no matter what, before you input anything else.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies