turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

p_catherine
Returning Member

Foreigner deemed a US resident but not in the US anymore

Hi!

I am a bit lost regarding my taxes. In 2019, I was a non US resident for tax purposes but for 2020 i'm deemed a US resident.

Sprintax recommends using TurboTax but since I don't have a US debit card nor a US address, what should I do in case I have to pay fees or if I owe money?

Can I claim both Economic stimulus payments ($1800) ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

If you don't have a US bank account, you can pay your TurboTax fees with a U.S.-based credit or pre-paid debit card.

We're unable to accept checks, money orders, or cash as payment.

Please click the following links to learn more:

What if I don't have a bank account?

How do U.S. taxpayers living and working abroad report their income?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
p_catherine
Returning Member

Thank you for your answer.

I forgot to mention that I don't live in the US anymore, I left in July 2020 so I can't get a credit card or a pre-paid credit card.

I am not a US citizen, only a US resident for tax purposes. I used Sprintax in 2019 but this year I can't.

Can I ask someone else (a US citizen) to pay for me if I have fees or If I owe taxes? 

Another question : since apparently I am a US resident for tax purposes, can I claim both Economic stimulus payments ($1800 total) ?

To find out if the IRS has issued a stimulus for you go to the IRS Get My Payment site.  It will tell when your payment was processed and how you will receive it.  

p_catherine
Returning Member

Hi, 

Thank you for your answer.

My question was if I am entitled or not to get the Economic Stimulus payment because I was a nonresident alien in 2019 but became a US resident for tax purposes for 2020 (I left the US in July 2020).

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Economic stimulus payments were based on your 2019 income tax return.  If you did not file a 2019 income tax return and did not receive a stimulus payment, you could be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  

The Recovery Rebate Credit is similar to the stimulus payments except that the eligibility and the amount are based on 2020 information you include on your 2020 tax return.

Generally, if you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2020, were not a dependent of another taxpayer, and have a Social Security number that is valid for employment, you are eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  Your credit amount will be reduced if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than: 

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals filing as a single or as married filing separately.  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies