Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For my 2020 filing, TurboTax did not include estimated forms for 2021 even though I will need to file them. How can I open my filed taxes so I can print out the forms?

Instructions for how to access and print my 1040-es forms say I need to be "in" my 2020 taxes, and that's why I'm asking.  I have already filed the taxes and don't see a way to open the 2020 taxes.  Finally, I paid some of my 2021 estimated taxes with my refund.  Will that show in the estimated forms that I can access through my 2020 taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

For my 2020 filing, TurboTax did not include estimated forms for 2021 even though I will need to file them. How can I open my filed taxes so I can print out the forms?

After a return has been efiled and  accepted, it can sometimes take a return PDF a while to update and become available at the Tax Home.   If you can't use the Download/print button at the Tax Home or the "Download/print the PDF" link in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents", or if you're getting incomplete documents when you use one of those methods, here's an alternate way to print by opening the filed return back up to print at the Print Center.

NOTE:  When you open your return back up, do not make any changes in it if it's already been filed.  If you later have to amend the return, it has to start off exactly as it was when it was originally filed.

• Log in and at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2020, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)
  • After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print, save, view this year's return."
  • The next screen should offer some options:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"
  • See if one of those PDFs has what you need.  The latter has the most pages.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

Thank you, but I'm still stuck.  First, I have downloaded the PDF of the returns (which I filed back in May), but the PDF doesn't include the 1040-ES forms for 2021.  In fact, this year there's no TurboTax cover sheet or anything else.  Just the returns themselves.  Very different from previous years when there were cover sheets and 1040-ES at the front of the PDF.

When I follow your instructions, I get to the 5th step you describe, but there's no "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)" options.  Just federal or state returns with checkboxes (for which to print) plus two links for "I need help printing my returns" and "How do I protect my returns."

@cpaulsen10 wrote:

Thank you, but I'm still stuck.  First, I have downloaded the PDF of the returns (which I filed back in May), but the PDF doesn't include the 1040-ES forms for 2021.  In fact, this year there's no TurboTax cover sheet or anything else.  Just the returns themselves.  Very different from previous years when there were cover sheets and 1040-ES at the front of the PDF.

When I follow your instructions, I get to the 5th step you describe, but there's no "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)" options.  Just federal or state returns with checkboxes (for which to print) plus two links for "I need help printing my returns" and "How do I protect my returns."

When you are on the TurboTax Print Center screen, click on 2020 Federal return and the option for all worksheets will be available.

Print Center Online.JPG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies