Filing tax returns for my granddaughters.

I have used TurboTax for many, many years.   We currently have two granddaughters, aged 21 and 20, living with us.   The 20-year old filed her 2018 taxes, and has In fact received her refund.  However, the 21 year old has not yet filed either her 2017 or her 2018 income taxes.  How do I help her do that?  Do I merely sign into my account, then enter her personal data and have her complete the filing, and sign the two filings...or what?  Appreciate our assistance and direction.

A TurboTax online account is only good for one return per fee. So she cannot use your account and user ID to prepare a return or it will overwrite your own return--then your return would be lost.   And you can only use online TurboTax for a 2018 return.  

If your grandchild needs to file 2017 and 2018 returns, she needs her own account and user ID if she wants to use online software.  A 2018 return can still be e-filed until October 15, 2019; after that it has to be printed, signed and mailed.

As for 2017,

Online preparation and e-filing for 2017 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2015, 2016, or 2017 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

An option for her 2018 return  (if she qualifies) might be the FREEDOM Edition..  It will prepare both free Federal and in 23 states, a Free State return (the other states were 14.99 last year).   It can handle all the typical forms and schedules; in fact, it is more fully-featured than Deluxe.

The Freedom Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Freedom Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, and F that the Free Edition cannot.  

A user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

• AGI of $33,000 or less
  • or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2017 family AGI of $66,000 or less
  • or eligible for EIC (Earned Income Credit.)

The FREEDOM Edition is located at:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom 

How to switch and start over (requires new account at the Freedom website)
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition