Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gsj5
Level 2

Hello, I've searched on the Net and in these forums but I don't see any ability to mask SSN when printing forms.  I'm reluctant to send these forms over an email to another person without having to mask the SSN.  Redacting the SSN via PDF editor or white outs is quite a painful process.  I hope Intuit product managers are reading this forum and taking our enhancement requests in their future implementation list.  As a programmer, I don't see this feature request would take more than a half hour to implement. 

Ideally, it would be helpful to have an ability to mask part of the SSN as well as entire 9 digits.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

TurboTax does not ever recommend emailing tax returns since email is not a secure way to send someone your tax return.  Who are you emailing a tax return to?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You will need to password protect any email with PII on it ... so who are you sending this return to ?   https://home.treasury.gov/how-to-encryptpassword-protect-microsoft-office-and-adobe-acrobat-pdf-docu....

Do they have a secure portal you can use ?    Or can you simply mail them  the return or drop it off in person ?  

gsj5
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm sending my past taxes to my new CPA.  Regardless of whom I'm sending and how, this would be very useful feature to have.

I've already password protected pdf file, though it would be good to have TurboTax give that option while printing!  

why not just remove your SSN or put in a dummy number.  

@gsj5 

When you choose to save/print  the PDF  it is no longer in the TT program's hands.  View/print/save are all functions of the  PDF reader installed on  your computer and it is your responsibility to protect the PDF using any means necessary.  

I have the same feature request. I am doing the taxes for my 85-year-old mother and want to send a pdf version to her to review (cross country). It would be nice to be able to mask her name/social etc. I will take the suggestion from someone else and put in dummy info. 

You said both printing and email.  If you print, just redact the SSN.

Using the PDF reader or the email service you can password protect the file.  Google search how to do it with your PDF reader programs or email system. 

I strongly agree with this feature request.  It should be fairly simple to have a toggle in the software to print SSNs in their entirety or redacted.

It is a common feature that professional tax preparers use when filing their client's tax return. Their software has that. Turbo Tax are self-prepared returns. 

Pennewa

I think it is only a matter of time before Intuit is forced to provide this ability, either because the wise up on their own or they get sued. Virtually every financial institution masks SSNs on their tax forms when they mail them out. Sure Turbo Tax is not "mailing them out" but they are not letting their customers follow best practice in this regard and likely have some legal responsibility when their customers have losses as a result.

iOne
Level 4

The only reason I have to shred the check prints I make at home, is because TT insists on putting the SSN on each page.  PITA.

I use "Nitro PDF" to redact PDFs I email.  That said the less that SSN gets out the better, even on random pdfs left in my recycle bin or in a deleted file on my hard drive.

Get with the program Intuit.

jblum1

I;m going through as divorce and my wife;s attorney wants my  tax returns. I do not want to provide my complete SSN. How can I mask all or part of my SSN.

You can print out a copy of the return and use white out or a sharpie on your SSN and then make a copy of it with the redacted SSN for the attorney.   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-thi...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies