turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal refund - Missing Form 4868 Extension Money

Hello Everyone, I did my FY2020 tax extension in April (to extend the deadline until Oct 2021) and during that time I paid $XXX as my extension amount along with Form 4868 to IRS.  In July when I did my taxes it appears to be I need to get amount $YYY ( My refund amount for FY2020) + $XXX (Extension Amount) = $ZZZ ( Total refund).

But after i filed my return in July, IRS refunded me only the amount $YYY and they forgot to refund me the $XXX i paid for extension.  I am supposed to get $ZZZ, but i only got back $YYY.  What is the process to get the difference money $XXX from IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Didn't the extension payment show up as a credit on your tax return?  For 2020 Federal Extension payments should be on schedule 3 line 9.  And go to 1040 line 31.  It is included in your refund or reduces a tax due.

If you didn't enter it then the IRS should have added it in for you.  Or eventually catch it and send it back.  You have to ask the IRS about it.  Do you have proof you paid it like your bank statement?

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Didn't the extension payment show up as a credit on your tax return?  For 2020 Federal Extension payments should be on schedule 3 line 9.  And go to 1040 line 31.  It is included in your refund or reduces a tax due.

If you didn't enter it then the IRS should have added it in for you.  Or eventually catch it and send it back.  You have to ask the IRS about it.  Do you have proof you paid it like your bank statement?

Yes the amount is mention in schedule 3 line 9, also i am seeing the same amount in 1040 line 31, also form 4868 is also attached in my return. I have the Form 4868 payment confirmation with confirmation number with me in email.

Should i call IRS now to resolve this?

Nothing you need to do.  You got the right refund amount.  You  did get the extension payment back.  It was added to your tax return and increased your refund.  You got credit for it.  Follow the math on your return.  

Even if the money is reflected on the return did it ever get paid ?   Do you have a cancelled check or bank statement showing anything was actually  paid with the extension ?  

If you do not have a receipt for the payment then it never happened ... so the IRS is correct.

If you did pay  then : 

Take a look at your account transcript on the IRS web site ... do they have a payment listed ?   https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

You could try to call ... may never get thru but you can try.

Or you can amend the return ... could take 6 months or more to process.

Or you can wait and see if the IRS every catches this overpayment and sends it to you. 

The amount mentioned in Line 34 and 35a of form1040 is $ZZZ, but the amount I got back is $YYY which is the difference of my line 34 and my extension amount $XXX.

I got the confirmation email with Confirmation number for my extension form 4868 money.

Let's back up.  Is your 2020 refund $YYY the amount on 1040 line 35a?  Then it includes the $XXX extension.  You don't get $ZZZ ($YYY+XXX).   

Or did the IRS send you less than the refund on line 35a?

Again you got a confirmation email for the filing of the extension but was the payment ever completed ???

You need the proof of payment ... a canceled check or a bank or CC statement showing the payment. 

Oh I was posting at the same time.  So the IRS did reduce your refund on line 35a.  You need to show them proof you paid the extension.  You need to show them your bank statement or credit card showing it coming out.

When i login to IRS website and see my 2020 tax  transcript, I see the account balance as negative -$XXX as of July 26th 2021. This is the same amount i paid for extension? does it mean they have the amount i paid with them and will they refund automatically? or i need to claim that in next year return?

Ok ... now I see where you are confused ... LOOK at your return as suggested a few answers ago ... the amount you paid with the extension was already considered as part of your payments on the form 1040 ... the refund on the return INCLUDED  the extension payment.   It is NOT sent to you again in any fashion.  

Thanks for your help. I will wait and watch to see what happens to that negative credit in my account.

brad85

What was the conclusion of this situation?  I am dealing with the same thing for 2022 tax year.  I understand exactly, what your problem is...the rest of the thread seemed not to understand that you were actually getting paid Line 35a - Line 31, when you should be getting Line 35a.  I would love to hear how you resolved this issue.

Hi, the amount remained as an excess credit in my account and it was adjusted in the following year return as credit for me by IRS automatically. No additional steps needed 

if you pull the irs tax return transcript you will see that excess credit 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies