turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yopapii69

I have one more w2 I just got in the mail but I already filed my other ones

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Patrice

Don't worry! If you got another form like a W2 after filing, or you forgot to add something, you can still fix your return by completing and filing an amendment.  TurboTax walks you step-by-step through amending your federal and state income tax returns. You won't have to start all over all you have to do is add the new form(s). This will not affect the tax return that you have already filed.

If the IRS and the state has accepted it, you will see "Accepted" as the status of your return when you sign in to TurboTax (on your Tax Timeline).  If they have accepted your return, then you may need to amend your tax return.  

Before you amend your return, here are three things you need to know. 

First, make sure you got your refund or paid your taxes due; you want to make sure the government doesn’t get confused with your money, so the original return needs to be all squared away before you amend.

Second, print a copy of your original return and have it right by your side when you start to amend in TurboTax. Trust us; this is really important.

Third, you can amend this year’s return only with this year’s version of TurboTax. If you want to amend your return from a prior year, use that year’s version of TurboTax.

To start your amended return, go back into TurboTax, open the return that you already sent in, and on the first page you see, click on the link to amend your return.

Remember before you amend: amend only if you need to make a change on a return you have already filed. Wait until you got your refund or paid your taxes. Have a copy of your original return at your side before you start. And be sure you use the correct year’s version of TurboTax. TurboTax will walk you through the entire amend process.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5567856

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Patrice

Don't worry! If you got another form like a W2 after filing, or you forgot to add something, you can still fix your return by completing and filing an amendment.  TurboTax walks you step-by-step through amending your federal and state income tax returns. You won't have to start all over all you have to do is add the new form(s). This will not affect the tax return that you have already filed.

If the IRS and the state has accepted it, you will see "Accepted" as the status of your return when you sign in to TurboTax (on your Tax Timeline).  If they have accepted your return, then you may need to amend your tax return.  

Before you amend your return, here are three things you need to know. 

First, make sure you got your refund or paid your taxes due; you want to make sure the government doesn’t get confused with your money, so the original return needs to be all squared away before you amend.

Second, print a copy of your original return and have it right by your side when you start to amend in TurboTax. Trust us; this is really important.

Third, you can amend this year’s return only with this year’s version of TurboTax. If you want to amend your return from a prior year, use that year’s version of TurboTax.

To start your amended return, go back into TurboTax, open the return that you already sent in, and on the first page you see, click on the link to amend your return.

Remember before you amend: amend only if you need to make a change on a return you have already filed. Wait until you got your refund or paid your taxes. Have a copy of your original return at your side before you start. And be sure you use the correct year’s version of TurboTax. TurboTax will walk you through the entire amend process.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5567856

JM29_

So I have one more w2 but I already filed what can I do 

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it.

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies