turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the IRS have my direct deposit info on file if I gave it to Turbotax, even if I didn't get a refund bc of student loan issues?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Does the IRS have my direct deposit info on file if I gave it to Turbotax, even if I didn't get a refund bc of student loan issues?

Only the IRS would be able to confirm if they have your direct deposit information on file. However, if your question is related to the anticipated stimulus checks, the details of those payments has not been finalized yet, the IRS asks you to check their website Coronavirus Tax Relief for updates. You can also is visit the TurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center for updates as well. Once things are finalized we will be able to provide more guidance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Now that the details have been finalized, I have the same question.

I referred to the IRS website per your recommendation and this is what I found in the FAQ:

"How will the IRS know where to send my payment?

The vast majority of people do not need to take any action. The IRS will calculate and automatically send the economic impact payment to those eligible.

For people who have already filed their 2019 tax returns, the IRS will use this information to calculate the payment amount. For those who have not yet filed their return for 2019, the IRS will use information from their 2018 tax filing to calculate the payment. The economic impact payment will be deposited directly into the same banking account reflected on the return filed."

So, for those of us who haven't filed for 2019 yet, are we to assume that TurboTax provided our direct deposit information to the IRS for our 2018 taxes as long as we filed with TurboTax in 2018?

@Madeleinie wrote:

So, for those of us who haven't filed for 2019 yet, are we to assume that TurboTax provided our direct deposit information to the IRS for our 2018 taxes as long as we filed with TurboTax in 2018?

If you selected direct deposit for the 2018 federal tax refund, then Yes the IRS has your direct deposit information.

tknightj

I selected direct deposit, via TurboTax, last year. However, like the OP, the IRS sends my Tax Refund to a school loan agency that I owe to. So technically the IRS didn't make a direct deposit to my account last year, they sent the money to someone else. 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, if your tax return has your personal bank information that was used to either receive a direct deposit of your refund or was used to pay your tax due then the IRS has your bank information to use for your direct deposit of your stimulus check.  The fact that your refund was offset did not remove your banking information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies