turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does receiving a refund for a deceased person’s (my mother’s) final return take longer, even with form 1310 filed? The return was filed on March 25th.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Does receiving a refund for a deceased person’s (my mother’s) final return take longer, even with form 1310 filed? The return was filed on March 25th.

Did you file on paper? If so, it will take longer.
If everything was in order, you should have been processed by now.
However, IRS does not commit to this, so you are still within the expected wait-time interval.

Yes I e-filed. At what point should I be concerned if I don't hear anything? Should I just keep checking where's my refund periodically on the IRS website?

When you check the site, does the tax return show as accepted and/or  in progress ?

I am going through this exact same thing! I have called numerous times only to get 0 answers, no one can tell me anything. A couple reps told me I should have the refund by now, her return was received March 29th. All the stupid website says is "refund still being processed". I am going to my local IRS office for a 2nd appointment today. At the 1st appointment and 45 minutes in, she told me they were still within the allowed timeframe, come back in another 2 weeks and she could make a call to speed things up...we'll see. If I waited past the deadline and it was 14 weeks later, they would be up my ass with a microscope for their money!

If you e-filed, it is supposed to take even less time. Definitely call and see what they can tell you.

If the return has been processing for more than 21 days then you can call the IRS …

Call the IRS:  [phone number removed]  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1

If it's been more than 90 days since the return was accepted  then you can ask for help from the Tax Payer Advocate office:

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

If you are unsuccessful with the Taxpayer Advocate for your area, you can also try the special IRS phone number for the Taxpayer Advocate Service at [phone number removed].

More info on the Taxpayer Advocate Service:
http://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/about/who-we-are

http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Taxpayer-Advocate-Service-6

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works:
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

Mikimoto

When filing for my (deceased father) I submitted his return with the appropriate forms (March) and after months and months of promises from the IRS to process his return, I had to utilize an IRS Advocate. She was a great help and finally received his refund in mid December. 

I am still trying to get my deceased fathers 2019 refund . I have complied with everything they have asked for , did a virtual visit, and also a visit to the Rochester NY IRS building . they kept saying everything is in order and I would receive my dads check in 9-11 weeks. Then I get this letter stating their area of the IRS does not deal with a deceased parents refund and sent it to another dept. The letter stated Iwould get a call or letter from them in 45 days. Three weeks later still waiting to hear from them.  I believe they are stalling on purpose and will be shocked to see an actual check from them. Never have I seen a more incompetent system before!  

where did you find a IRS advocate from?

thanks Marcia

@mdiebold55 wrote:

where did you find a IRS advocate from?

thanks Marcia

To contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area see this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies