towniesailor

Do I need to print and mail forms after e-filing? TuboTax said I need to on one screen, after e-filing, but no further explanation.

LakeshaLO

Normally, you do not unless TurboTax instructs you to which it will be listed on your filing instruction page. To view your Filing Instruction page,please follow these steps:

To get a copy of your federal tax return along with the Filing Instructions page:

1. Log into your TurboTax account
  2. Scroll to the bottom of page, click Add a State( you are not adding a state, this is just to get in the right menu)
  3. Over to the left, click Tax Tools dropdown
  4. Click the Print Center
  5. Click the Print, save or preview this year's return
  6. Check 2018 Federal returns
  7. Select Include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional)
  8. Then,click View or print forms, and the Filing Instructions page will be the very first page. What you need to mail will be listed by What you need to mail.

Note:To view your filing instructions page for your state, check the 2018 (name of your state) returns instead. The filing instruction page will be the first page. 

Please see this TurboTax FAQ,  Do I need to mail anything after I've e-filed? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302289

towniesailor

This was the screen after I e-filed both federal and state:  "Print and Mail These Forms to the Goverment.  Even though you e-filed, you're still required to print and mail these forms.  Don't skip this important step!  Your return isn't complete without it.  Explain This."
towniesailor

We are filing jointly, 1040, with a Sch C EZ, same as prior years, no strange forms or tax situations.  Have used TurboTax yearly for a long time, and have e-filed every year since it's been possible.  Only time I had to mail a return was 1 year when I was eligible for an usual deduction.  I am thinking this message I quoted from TurboTax may be an error.  Thank you in advance for any help!
towniesailor

One last detail, when I hit the "Explain This" hyper text after this TurboTax message, it took me to the general Intuit.com website, and did not provide any explanation, so that's when I signed into our Intuit account here online to see whether there might be any further information (and there was not).  Thx again!
jaspern10

GOT  THE SAME MESSAGE AND IN ADDITION THE BUTTON TO PRINT THE REQUIRED FORMS GAVE AN ERROR MESSAGE.  TOTAL FRUSTRATION ON THIS AFTER TALKING WITH TURBOTAX REPS FOR HOURS WITH NO SOLUTION TO THE SOFTWARE.
LakeshaLO

1. Log into your TurboTax account
  4. Click the Print Center
  6. Check 2018 Federal returns

dogongulf

Perhaps your State requires a paper copy?????

towniesailor

My state doesn't require a paper copy to file.  I had already e-filed for fed and state and both have been accepted.  In my case i think the TT message referred to printing and mailing a voucher to pay state tax due (perhaps the general message "print and file these documents" could be re-worded to fit the more detailed senarios we each have, rather than giving the wrong impression that the whole fed and state returns need to be printed and mailed).