cassmarie0614

Do I need to amend or change my return because I just had a child? I will be claiming her on my 2021. But I don’t qualify for the child tax credit?

I’m trying to figure out why I don’t qualify for child tax credit. Obviously I didn’t claim her in 2020 if I had her in 2021. So I’m confused, the irs was no help.

So NOT try to amend the 2020 return ... that will not work.    You can try to add the child on the IRS site here when allowed (if ever) otherwise you will simply get the credit on the 2021 return you file next year.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/2021-child-tax-credit-and-advance-child-tax-credit-payments-t...

fanfare

You need a dependent to get these credits,

Your child was not yet born.

Why is this confusing?

fanfare

When the portal allows you to add a 2021 dependent (near future), then you should qualify for the Advance Child Tax Credit, which is a 2021 tax return aspect.

The advance consists of partial payments in 2021.

See this new IRS page just added or updated today September 1, 2021

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021