turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to include my unemployment benefits in my state tax return, even if I already included them in my federal return? I am a New Jersey resident.

My unemployment benefits were received in NJ. I know that they are not taxed by my state, but if I don't put in the amount I received through unemployment, my gross income comes up as $0, which is not necessarily correct.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Do I have to include my unemployment benefits in my state tax return, even if I already included them in my federal return? I am a New Jersey resident.

You are correct NJ does not tax unemployment benefits.  You will enter the unemployment benefits from form 1099-G into the federal interview only.  NJ will not transfer that line/amount into it's forms.  You do not enter it anywhere in the NJ return. It is not part of NJ calculations at all.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You are correct NJ does not tax unemployment benefits.  You will enter the unemployment benefits from form 1099-G into the federal interview only.  NJ will not transfer that line/amount into it's forms.  You do not enter it anywhere in the NJ return. It is not part of NJ calculations at all.

if your total  income from all sources was less than $10,000, not counting social security, you don't have to file a NJ tax return.

tb2004

I filed with TurboTax for 2020 and my unemployment was included in my state wage (line 15 on the 2020 NJ-1040).

This year,  TT did not include my unemployment in my 2021 state wage. Can I file an amendment for last year with the state?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you entered your unemployment benefits from a 1099-G in 2020, that amount is not included in wages (line 15 of NJ 1040).   NJ does not tax unemployment and amounts from a 1099-G would not be included on Line 15 - that line is for wages, salary, tips and other compensation and does not included unearned income (UE).    If you have unemployment amounts reported on Line 15, you will need to file federal and state amendment.    To file a state amendment, you have to start a federal amendment and make the changes there.   

NJ does not tax UE benefits, but the IRS does.   There was an exception in 2020 - the IRS allowed $10,200 of UE to be exempt from federal tax, but this did not have any effect on your NJ return, as those amounts are not taxed anyway.   

@tb2004

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies