• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yellowsphinx23

Do I have to include my unemployment benefits in my state tax return, even if I already included them in my federal return? I am a New Jersey resident.

My unemployment benefits were received in NJ. I know that they are not taxed by my state, but if I don't put in the amount I received through unemployment, my gross income comes up as $0, which is not necessarily correct.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Do I have to include my unemployment benefits in my state tax return, even if I already included them in my federal return? I am a New Jersey resident.

You are correct NJ does not tax unemployment benefits.  You will enter the unemployment benefits from form 1099-G into the federal interview only.  NJ will not transfer that line/amount into it's forms.  You do not enter it anywhere in the NJ return. It is not part of NJ calculations at all.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

You are correct NJ does not tax unemployment benefits.  You will enter the unemployment benefits from form 1099-G into the federal interview only.  NJ will not transfer that line/amount into it's forms.  You do not enter it anywhere in the NJ return. It is not part of NJ calculations at all.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

fanfare
Level 15

if your total  income from all sources was less than $10,000, not counting social security, you don't have to file a NJ tax return.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v