yellowsphinx23

Do I have to include my unemployment benefits in my state tax return, even if I already included them in my federal return? I am a New Jersey resident.

My unemployment benefits were received in NJ. I know that they are not taxed by my state, but if I don't put in the amount I received through unemployment, my gross income comes up as $0, which is not necessarily correct.

DMarkM1

You are correct NJ does not tax unemployment benefits.  You will enter the unemployment benefits from form 1099-G into the federal interview only.  NJ will not transfer that line/amount into it's forms.  You do not enter it anywhere in the NJ return. It is not part of NJ calculations at all.

DMarkM1

fanfare

if your total  income from all sources was less than $10,000, not counting social security, you don't have to file a NJ tax return.