Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Bran193

Did anybody get it topic tax 201 on their refund after filed were you able to make payment arrangements and still get your refund

Did u hear anything yet from them I'm having the same problem

Did anybody get it topic tax 201 on their refund after filed were you able to make payment arrangements and still get your refund

Same here

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Catchme55

Tax Topic 201 means that you owe tax to the IRS. Tax Topic 201 explains the collection process for income tax due. It says that "if you don't pay your tax in full when you file your tax return, you'll receive a bill for the amount you owe. This bill starts the collection process...." It goes on to say that the first notice you receive will explain the balance due so that should give you insight into why you owe tax. They also give you an option to make payments on the amount that you owe.

The IRS website below provides additional information

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So tax topic 202 could be from past due child support?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Tax Topic 202 is related to Tax Payment Options, Please see this IRS article for an explanation: Topic No. 202 Tax Payment Options

@HeatherLM

JamalR283

Why is it explaining about that if I gave them all my tax returns and the live expert did my taxes for me , but all they do is explain but they never gave me a payment that’s due or anything and that been my status for a whole month now , what u think is happening because I also showed that I was getting unemployment after I get lost my job back in 2020

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the above response from SForrestLO:

Tax Topic 201 means that you owe tax to the IRS. Tax Topic 201 explains the collection process for income tax due. It says that "if you don't pay your tax in full when you file your tax return, you'll receive a bill for the amount you owe. This bill starts the collection process...." It goes on to say that the first notice you receive will explain the balance due so that should give you insight into why you owe tax. They also give you an option to make payments on the amount that you owe.

The IRS website below provides additional information

Jewsis01

What if I'm almost certain I don't owe any back taxes? I don't really make enough money or have any real equity to speak of that require taxes being paid.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@Jewsis01

You will need to reach out to the IRS in regards to this.  

IRS: 800-829-1040  

Hours: 7 AM - 7 PM, local time 

Monday-Friday

• Listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • First choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • day
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.
Kitakita

Okay I got a credit for 3750 and topic 201 for 1600 of it will I receive my remaining bal or do they just keep it I owed the irs

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@Kitakita

Please see the article here for further information on Tax Topic 201:  https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc201

If you need to reach out to the IRS directly with this matter, please follow the instructions below:

IRS: 800-829-1040  

Hours: 7 AM - 7 PM, local time 

Monday-Friday

• Listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • First choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

Did you end up owing ? I got my refund 5000 but it was originally 5600 says it was reduced then says related to tax topic 201 does that mean i still owe?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Tax Topic 201 means that you owe taxes to the IRS. 

Tax Topic 201 explains the collection process for income tax due. It says that "if you don't pay your tax in full when you file your tax return, you'll receive a bill for the amount you owe. This bill starts the collection process...." It goes on to say that the first notice you receive will explain the balance due so that should give you insight into why you owe tax. They also give you the option to make payments on the amount that you owe. 

The IRS website provides additional information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies