Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Credit karma close my account without any explanation. But my taxes are supposed to be deposited into that account. What do I do?

I received an email saying that credit karma was closing my account. I reached back out to ask why. I was told that they can close accounts at their discretion. But my taxes supposed to be deposited into the account by the 18th. What do I do?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Credit karma close my account without any explanation. But my taxes are supposed to be deposited into that account. What do I do?

There is no way to update your refund method once your tax return has been filed. If Credit Karma closed your account, they will most likely reject the deposit.  When they reject the deposit, the IRS will mail your refund check to the address on your tax return. For more information please see the below TurboTax help article. 

What if I entered the wrong bank account for direct deposit?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The same thing happened to me! I’m so upset. I applied for the advance and was approved. I’ve been using my spend account without issue since 1/24/23 and yesterday they closed my account… today my refund was supposed to be deposited. I’m a single mother struggling with a medical condition why would they do this? Just evil

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

You'll need to reach out to Credit Karma directly for information as to why your account was closed.  Please visit https://support.creditkarma.com for support.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but rest assured the IRS cannot deposit funds into a closed account.  If the IRS attempts to deposit your refund into a closed account, it will be rejected.  In this case, the IRS will mail you a refund check instead.

@kb1987kb 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The last reply is almost a year old but I have to tell you how wrong you are and what a horrible company Credit Karma/Intuit is. They closed my account one day before my tax refund was due to come in, well actually they only pretended to close it because they kept it open to accept my money! This is illegal by the way. Then they gaslit me trying to tell me they didn’t have my refund when the irs and turbo tax confirmed it was successfully deposited. They held on to my refund for a few weeks (gaining Interest of my money) then finally mailed a check to me. The envelope wasn’t even sealed like they wanted the check to fall out. You couldn’t pay me to ever use credit karma, turbo tax or Intuit again. I’ve been a loyal customer my spend account had $1055 when they closed it. It wasn’t negative and I had no issues with any account. They just randomly closed it, so evil. Now I can’t even use Quickbooks for my business because I absolutely refuse to give Intuit any business. 

P1SSED

They closed my account without any warning or explanation and now I can't contact anyone. I try the chat and it kicks me off. I had my advance in there and it's all gone, mom of 3 who needed that money! 

Bcoop

I received the refund advance and still had 1200.00 in my account. I was never notified that my account was closed, I just realized that I couldn’t see the checking account on my CK app.

I just called and spoke with someone and was told that all of my funds were transferred to my regular bank account. Which I’m not even sure how they got that account info? I should have my funds by 1/29 and hoping that the rest of my refund gets deposited there too.

I was also told that I can try to open my account back up in 15 days.

I really hope this helps. Good Luck 

The same thing happened to me! They closed my account THE SAME DAY I SET UP MY TAX REFUND TO BE DEPOSITED IN IT. 

credit karma says they can see the $1000 refund advance in my account but cannot re-open my account? The said they will send me a check but I don’t have a good feeling about it. I have used credit karma for my refunds for 3 years and have never had an issue. I will never use credit karma, or turbo tax for that matter again. 

Did you ever get your refund after they closed your account? This is happening to me right now; also a single mother really struggling at the moment and I was counting on this money. 

This is happening to me right now. They closed my 3 year old account the same day I listed it to have my refund deposited to! Credit Karma told me today that they can see the $1000 deposit in my account, but cannot reopen my account or transfer the money to a new one. Told me they would send me a check but couldn’t confirm it had been sent. This is horrible.

I’m in the same situation! Were you ever able to resolve it?

P1SSED

I was told they couldn't tell me any information and to refer to the message I was sent before my account was closed. I have no message, not by phone, email or credit karma notification. So I still have no idea if ill get my money back or what will happen to my refund. It's upsetting I've been using turbo tax for years but never again!

Bcoop

I actually did get the deposit for the money that was remaining in my account.

Apparently I connected the spend account to my external bank account through Plaid before? I'm hoping that they'll deposit the rest of my refund there too but will not hold my breath.

I've been doing research and found that you can call SBTPG (Santa Barbara Tax blah blah) once the funds have been sent from the IRS, and ask them where they sent the refund. If the CK account is TRULY closed you'll receive a check from Greendot or SBTPG. It only takes a week or so.

Hope this helps!

In the same boat- I have seen multiple others in different platforms. Multiple people including myself have reported to the BBB and asked for assistance in finding a resolution. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies