turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CP09 notice for unclaimed EIC

Hi, hope someone can advise...

I posted here a couple weeks ago about the fact Turbotax had not given me the Earned Income Credit even though I qualify and filled in the details about my kids like I always do. The person I spoke to at TurboTax said it was a software bug and I would have to file an amended return.

Just today I received a CP09 notice from the IRS telling me I may be eligible for the EIC, and including a worksheet to fill in and return to them.

I'm just wondering: is it better to just wait and do an amended return when TurboTax makes the forms available? Or should I just go ahead and return the worksheet to the IRS (if I return the worksheet, do I still need to file an amended return?)

I would be so grateful for advice from people who know more about this than I do!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

80 Replies

I'm glad that I'm not the only one this happened too. I also got the form in the mail, but I filled it out immediately and sent it back. It's to bad TT had a glitch and didn't have it fixed in time for our tax season. Here's to waiting an extra 8 weeks for the rest of our return.

I guess the next question is... Did you get the money back from the IRS or was it denied? I've been waiting on a response for 21 days now and i haven't heard anything back whatsoever.

Hi there! I haven't gotten anything back yet. Le sigh. I hope it won't be too much longer!

Fingers crossed for the both of us

Hey there: I thought I would let you know I just received my check! I hope you've gotten yours too (or that you don't have to wait too much longer!). 😉

That is great news!!! I'm still waiting on mine. Hopefully it'll be soon. I'm so happy for you cause now i know it's not BS and I just might be getting a check too!!!
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, IRS CP-09 is a real notice from the IRS informing you that you may be eligible for the Earned Income Credit, but didn't claim it on your tax return. Click here for more info. 

The IRS will mail you a refund check in 6-8 weeks if you respond to the notice and qualify. If they deny the credit, they'll send you a letter of explanation. If you don't hear from the IRS after 8 weeks, you can call their toll-free line at 800-829-0922to check the status.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About how long did you have to wait, and were there any changes made to your transcripts for this? I've been keeping track of mine and haven't seen any changes. It's been 4 weeks now.

I guess it worked out as about a month. I've not checked transcripts – I hadn't actually thought to do that!

I'll give it a couple weeks then before i start stressing, lmfao. Thanks again for your responses.

How long after you mailed the CP09 notice did you receive your check and was it for the difference that you originally received and what the letter stated should have been your refund?

Lol, I'm still waiting on my check. Hopefully it comes soon.

Hi: I waited about a month. The letter didn't say anything about what I should have gotten for the EIC. I let the IRS work out the amount for me. I hope that helps!

Thank You!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies