turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ChadD

Compare State Taxes using Turbo Tax

I've already completed/filed my state taxes this year using Turbo Tax.   

I'm considering moving to another state and just want to compare tax rate per state by using my 2016 information I've entered into Turbo Tax.  However, Turbo Tax wants me to purchase the other states first, is there anyway or anywhere else I can easily compare taxes between states using my 2016 information without having to pay for the extra state taxes since I'm not actually filing the extra state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

two ways:

1)  start an online software account and re-enter "everything" from 2016 as if you were a resident of that state for 2016. (please , Please write down your UserID and password and put them in a tax file.   You have to remember what accounts you use, even if they are phony accounts.)  Of course, you can't actually see the other state's forms unless you pay for that Online software..all you get from that preparation is a Refund, or taxes due number (unless you pay)

or

2)  Find the other state's Tax webpage and download their 2016 state forms and use your 2016 data to manually prepare that states tax return to see what happens.

There's no way to use the desktop software to do it without buying that state's software.

Don't forget that the year you move is a kluge of part-year tax returns for both states.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
oldmac13

What is the easiest way to compare state taxes after taxes are completed and filed. Can I delete the state file from the saved submitted tax return and then purchase the state I want to compare and download it into the existing federal tax file?

If you are using the Desktop program you can do that.  First make a copy of your return to test in.  Go to FILE - SAVE AS and give it another name.  Then delete the state return and you will have to buy the state you want for $44.99.  

Or you can get the forms from the state for free off their website and compute them manually. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies