Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

j-prather

How do I amend 2018 incorrect standard deduction? Filed my student's income, marked that parent would be claiming child, standard deduction was listed on line 8.

I marked that the child was a full time student with someone else being able to claim but line 8 listed a standard deduction.  With this the parent is unable to claim said child.  How do I correct this error?  How do I amend the return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

How do I amend 2018 incorrect standard deduction? Filed my student's income, marked that parent would be claiming child, standard deduction was listed on line 8.

Please remove the attachment. This is a public forum.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

A dependent also has a standard deduction. If his income is wages, the standard deduction is equal to his gross wages plus $350. You can still claim your child as a dependent.

There is no need to amend your child's return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There is nothing wrong with his tax return.  I looked at it before I removed it.  It shows he is being claimed on the Standard Deduction line right under his first name.  Then he got the standard deduction for a dependent which is his earned income on line 1 + $350 instead of the full 12,000 Standard Deduction for Single.

So we don't know why your return is being rejected.  Maybe someone else also claimed him on their return or used his ssn by mistake.
j-prather

Mom is trying to claim child on her taxes, as was the way it was supposed to be.  How can this be corrected?  

Maybe there is another reason she can't claim him.  If he made over $4,150 and is not a full time student she can't claim him.  How old is he?
j-prather

Child is under 16.  Mom should be able to claim on her taxes.
Anita01

The question parents most commonly get wrong is the one that asks if the child provided more than 1/2 their own support.  Parent says Yes in error.  Double check the answer to this question.

Oh, I was also going to say she should delete child and re-enter him.  That may clear something out.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies