Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lkmisc
Returning Member

Cannot open .tax2017 file in Turbotax 2017. Says fed tax return is on my PC and let's get my state form next. Gives Error code 190. I cannot open my fed or state forms.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Cannot open .tax2017 file in Turbotax 2017. Says fed tax return is on my PC and let's get my state form next. Gives Error code 190. I cannot open my fed or state forms.

The tax software must have every state installed in it that is in the real tax file you are attempting to open. 

Those states need to be installed BEFORE you attempt to open your actual 2017 tax file.  

IF it is only one state in that file..then only one state needs to be installed, but if that original .tax2017 datafile file has multiple states in it..then they all must be installed first.

Here's what you have to do.  

1)  Start a NEW tax return.  Enter enough information about your personal information, and the state you live in...and if any other states are involved....then go to the state section and download/install your own state (if your state has an income tax) and then buy, download, and install any additional states needed.

2) Do a SAVE-AS for ta file and make sure you give it a "Dummy" filename so you don't risk overwriting you original tax file,  

3)  Then go to the top menu to the "Online" selection and check for all software updates, and let it install anything it finds.

4)  then use the "File" menu item (upper left corner "Open Tax Return") to browse to and open the file you really want to see.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
lkmisc
Returning Member

I appreciate the response. I tried it and it didn't work.  It does download state and updates for the "dummy" return, but when I close the dummy return and click to open my tax file, I immediately get the same error 190.  I just spent 87 minutes on the phone with Turbotax and they couldn't solve it.  They kept trying to get me to log into my Intuit account even though I kept telling them my taxes were not done online and I used the desktop Premier CD version, which includes one free state. I only have one state in my taxes. When I had an issue with state years ago, the Intuit rep provided me with a link to re-download state and it worked. I told them tonight about what was done previously, but they kept trying to get me to log in online, saying that I can access last year's tax returns which I know I can't. They reside on my desktop PC. Any other ideas? I'm dreading having to call again. I don't have that much time to spare. And now...even the "Contact Us" won't let me through to get the ID number to call. I put in Error 190 in the subject and the box turns red and prompts me to put in key words for the issue.

If you are sure you only have the one state....the only thing I can think of is to uninstall TurboTax and then reinstall it, and try again.   I have no idea why your system is so buggy,

I can try to get the moderators to get you a separate state download......but you have to indicate...which state?  (At this late date.....they are all pretty hammered with 2018 procrastinators, so not sure how fast they can respond about a 2017 software issue)
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
lkmisc
Returning Member

Yes, only lived in one state - Colorado. I did uninstall and reinstall 2017. I need to access info from 2017 to do my 2018 taxes. I do not have a pdf file of 2017.

I'll see if the Moderators  can get you a separate CO download file.

You do have to get it by logging into a "download" account though...a separate state download can only be accessed by logging into the software download area.
lkmisc
Returning Member

I just spent 2 hrs and 45 min on the phone with Turbotax, in addition to the 90 min I spent on the phone with another rep yesterday. We did all the above steps (which you also referenced). They tried to push the CO state download, but it simply wouldn't open in 2017 Turbotax Premier.  It's like it's stuck in a loop. We tried 3 times and it just looped back to the download and pay for state screen. It would say it downloaded and we got the "Ready to Start State" screen, but then it would prompt for payment for the state download again.  I also tried to uninstall and reinstall 2017, but it still will not open my .tax2017 file. Is there anyway to convert the .tax2017 file into one I can view without Turbotax? Also, in starting my 2018 return, it apparently pulled from my 2017 Turbotax file, but I amended my 2017 return, so I have no way of knowing whether it pulled from the incorrect 2017 file or the more recent amended return since I can't open either to confirm the numbers.

I have no more ideas...if they cannot fix it, I cannot either...especially in this type of tax forum.

....at this point suspect there is something wrong with that .tax2017  datafile....but no idea as to what to do about it.

lkmisc
Returning Member

Yes, it appears there is something wrong with the file... I opened another tax file for another family member for that year with no issues. I searched for a back up file of mine, but there isn't one, which is odd.  Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with helpful info.  I appreciate it very much.
lkmisc
Returning Member

Interestingly, Turbotax 2018 can still transfer the data from the .tax2017 file. Frustrating that I can't actually open the 2017 file, since it successfully transfers the data. Wish there were a work around.
CheriS
Intuit Alumni

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies