Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tshrader7

Can I use the standard deduction on my federal return and itemize them on my Hawaii state return

The federal std deduction is 26,000 while the Hawaii State is on 4,000 resulting in a significant Hawaii tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Can I use the standard deduction on my federal return and itemize them on my Hawaii state return

Yes.  Hawaii allows you to claim itemized deductions even though you use the standard deduction on your Federal return.  To do so, make sure you enter all of your itemized deductions on the Federal portion of your return.  Then, even though TurboTax will say "your standard deduction is higher so we will use that", your itemized deductions will carry over to the Hawaii return where you will be able to claim them for greatest tax savings.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes.  Hawaii allows you to claim itemized deductions even though you use the standard deduction on your Federal return.  To do so, make sure you enter all of your itemized deductions on the Federal portion of your return.  Then, even though TurboTax will say "your standard deduction is higher so we will use that", your itemized deductions will carry over to the Hawaii return where you will be able to claim them for greatest tax savings.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
alkinea

Tried that, but it doesn't work for me.  No choice for the state (HI).

I'd like to see numbers, but lines 21-22 in the N11 are empty.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies