turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I upload last year's return even though this is my first year to file as a widow?

My husband died in 2019, so I filed last year as married, still using my husband's name and ID.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I upload last year's return even though this is my first year to file as a widow?

I first attempted to upload last year's return by selecting the PDF file in my computer.  Since I had filed as married filing jointly last year, the file name had my husband's initial and, I assume, wouldn't upload for that reason.  Later, I simply hit "browse," and the TurboTax program found it for me, complete with all last year's data and showing me as filing this year as a widow.  I did not have to create a new account as was suggested.

Wanda M.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Since you can no longer file as Married, you need to create a new account with a new User ID.  Go to the TurboTax website for the online editions, select an edition to start and create a new account (Do NOT Sign in) - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

I first attempted to upload last year's return by selecting the PDF file in my computer.  Since I had filed as married filing jointly last year, the file name had my husband's initial and, I assume, wouldn't upload for that reason.  Later, I simply hit "browse," and the TurboTax program found it for me, complete with all last year's data and showing me as filing this year as a widow.  I did not have to create a new account as was suggested.

Wanda M.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies