Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I still e-file 2019 Amended Return using Turbo Tax?

@BW737 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, 

The link that you provide is the same article that has been discussed above. It gives two options with links for both the online versions and the software/downloaded version. If you are unable to use the downloaded version to do an amendment as you stated...then why does the article still has an active link to amend via the download method?

thx

The support FAQ assumes that you will be using the TurboTax software for 2019 to amend the 2019 tax return.

Where did you complete and file the 2019 tax return?  Using the TurboTax desktop software or using the TurboTax online web-based editions?

If the desktop editions then just start your 2019 desktop program to amend the 2019 tax return.  If the online editions then the 2019 tax return can be amended using the online editions.

Additionally, the 2019 amended tax return cannot b e-filed, it can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS.

TurboTax closed e-filing for any 2019 tax return after October 2020.

BW737
Returning Member

Thanks, 

I used TurboTax and the downloaded software for Mac. But, now the software has been automatically updated to 2020. Also, when I try to open the saved 2019 version, it will not allow me to open it unless I transfer to the current 2020. So this is where Im stuck....thoughts?

@BW737 wrote:

Thanks, 

I used TurboTax and the downloaded software for Mac. But, now the software has been automatically updated to 2020. Also, when I try to open the saved 2019 version, it will not allow me to open it unless I transfer to the current 2020. So this is where Im stuck....thoughts?

Each tax year is a separate TurboTax program so the 2019 TurboTax software cannot be updated for tax year 2020.

The 2020 software is here - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

The 2019 software is here - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Why is your link to the TT FAQ Amend 2019 Tax Return now saying that I am forbidden access? 

Thank you for your help.

Your link keeps saying ACCESS DENIED. Is there a new link? I used 2019 CD/Download software to e-file my original 2019 return but now I need to amend it.

thank you!

Unfortunately you can't efile a 2019 amended return using Turbo Tax.  They (TT) cut that service off last October.  You can prepare an amended return using the product but you have to print it out and mail it in.  As an FYI, I did that last August and mailed the amended return to the IRS.  It took over six months for it to show up in their system (in the "Where's my amended return?" tool) and now another two months and it still hasn't been processed.

You are correct. You can amend the return, but not e-file it. As a side note, I also amended my 2020 return on March 26 and used TT to e-file that return. It is a month later and no sign of it on the IRS.gov/wmar website. According to TT it will take longer as they are still working through 2019 amended returns. Moral of the story: Don't make a mistake on your return or you will hate life! 

🤣 Well, the last two weeks I DO hate my life. While struggling to track down my late husband’s “Basis” for a Form 8606 for our 2020 returns, I had to go through 10 years of old returns. He did our taxes so it’s been a bit of a learning curve. Then Friday in the middle of the night it dawned on me that my own little IRA that I built with nondeductible contributions for 38 years required me to take an RMD for the first time in 2019. I did enter that 1099-R on my 2019 returns BUT I didn’t figure my “basis” on an 8606 making part of my RMD taxed twice. It’s taken me two days to go through 38 years of check registers to add up my contributions because not once in all those years did my bank send a statement showing contributions.....only the compounded interest they paid. I’m glad that when I shredded checks after 10 years that I kept the check registers. 

the link provided does not allow me to find out anything about being able to Amend my 2019 taxes.  

To amend a return 

Some quick ground rules:

1. Be sure the original return was filed and accepted.
  2. DO NOT go back into the return or change anything before you start the amendment process.
  3. Gather everything you need before you start.
  4. Complete the entire amendment process before you log out.
  5. Starting with 2020 tax returns you can E-File a 1040-X amended tax return.  All prior years must be printed and mailed.

You can correct a return that you've already filed and had accepted.  Select the year that applies and use this guide to proceed.

Select your tax year for amending instructions:

For additional information please refer to  How to Amend

The links to 2019 amended return says it is forbidden...  "You do not have access to this page."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies