Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dd76109

Can I fix a return before it's filed? I can look at the preview after I've paid TurboTax, but can I make changes before it's submitted to IRS?

I need to see all the worksheets to make sure I filled everything out completely, so I want to look at the return before it's submitted.  If I can fix it before it goes to IRS, I won't need to do a 1040-X later.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I fix a return before it's filed? I can look at the preview after I've paid TurboTax, but can I make changes before it's submitted to IRS?

You should ALWAYS review the return carefully BEFORE  filing the return  and that option is part of the FILE tab process or in the Print Center ...

How do I preview my TurboTax Online return before filing?

You can view your entire return or just your 1040 form before you e-file:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools in the left menu (if you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner).
  3. With the Tax Tools menu open, you can then:
    • Preview your entire return: Select Print Center and then Print, Save, or Preview This Year's Return (you may be asked to register or pay first).
    • View only your 1040 form: Select Tools. Next, select View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu.

If you haven't efiled or mailed your return you can go back in and change anything you want. Do not click on Amend!  Click on Add a State to let you back into your return.

From Tax Home (the first screen you see after you sign in), scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. You may have to select Show to open the drop down.
Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this is just the workaround).

Maybe you should consider using the Desktop program.  Then you can see all the forms and enter directly into them.  And the Desktop program has more features and other advantages over the Online version.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies