Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file my return if I can’t find one of my w2’s

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Here are some options: 

1. Yes, you could file without your W-2 but this will cause delays in processing.
  2. You could file an extension while you try and get a copy of the missing W-2.

Please see What if it's February but I still don't have my W-2?

Use the TurboTax Easy Extension. It's the fast, easy, and secure way to e-file your federal tax extension.

Note: Filing an extension doesn't give you additional time to pay owed taxes, which are due May 17, 2021 (it's the same date for taxpayers out of the country). If you can't pay owed tax by the deadline, always file an extension so you can avoid the late-filing penalty, which is up to 10 times higher than the late-payment penalty.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It will be incorrect when you file it and then you will have to amend when you dig up the missing W-2.   Or you can ask for an extension and file later when you get it.   But an extension does not give you extra time to pay tax you owe.  If you expect to owe tax you need to pay your estimated tax due with your extension request.

If you are getting a refund there is no penalty for missing the deadline.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-file-a-tax-extension/00/1005116

W-2's come from your employer, and they have until February 1 to issue it.  Some employers allow you to import the W-2 through the software, but for security reasons you still need information from the actual W-2 to import it.  You might need to phone, drop in, email and/or snail mail an old employer to make sure they know where to send your W-2.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2561916-how-can-i-get-a-copy-of-my-w-2

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies