turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to amend to include my 1095-A AND FILE 8962 FORM

I NEED HELP DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THIS
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Assuming your letter from the IRS is a LTR 0012C (see the letter's upper right-hand corner), make sure you read it first.  Here's a guide to understanding it:  

Understanding Your Letter 0012C  

Because your return has already been accepted, in order to complete form 8962, you will have to amend your return.  

How to Amend:  

1.       Print out a copy of your original return for your records.  

2.       Go into Turbo Tax and click Amend (change) a filed and accepted return under Manage Your Return.  It's zeroed out (which is why you need to keep a copy of your original return).  

How to enter Form 8962:  

1.       Go to the Health Insurance section after you have clicked Amend a return.  

2.       When you get to Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016?, answer Yes to A plan that sent or will send a 1095-A.  

3.        Walk through the rest of the screens to enter your 8962.  

When you're finished, make sure there is an entry on the line for “excess advance premium tax credit repayment” (line 46, Form 1040, or line 29, Form 1040A) or the line for “net premium tax credit” (line 69, Form 1040, or line 45, Form 1040A).  

To check to see if you do have entries on those lines,  

1.       Go to My Account.  

2.       Go to Tools.  

3.       Go to View Tax Summary 

4.       Go to Preview my 1040 

Turbo Tax will fill out the 8962 and a newly computed page for you to submit to the IRS.  
You will not be completing and sending a Form 1040X (an amended tax return) to the IRS; you will only print out the requested forms. 

Here's what goes in the package:  

·         a copy of your Form 1095A provided by your Marketplace  

·         a completed Form 8962  

·         a copy of the corrected second page from your original return that shows the “Tax and Credits” and “Payments” sections.   

·         A copy of the LTR 0012 

You can either fax the package to the fax number listed on the letter, or mail to the address on the letter.  

JENHICKMAN
Returning Member

I got a letter that States I need to fill out a form 8962 and send in with 1095a. Can i do this online or do I have to mail it? Can yall do it?? Help

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@JENHICKMAN 

Please see the below FAQ concerning form 8962:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/00/27409

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I cannot find Amend a filed and accepted return nor can I find Manage your return

Anonymous
Not applicable

See this FAQ on How to amend a return.

Mel22
Returning Member

I misunderstood the re-filing instructions and amended my return to file a form 8962.  What should I do now?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You are able to undo the amended return. Please follow the instructions below.

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in Turbo ...

Mel22
Returning Member

Do I need to undo it? If I amended my return in turbotax, the initial return isn't actually "amended" until the IRS receives my form 1040x in the mail right? Otherwise, they have no idea that I even intended to amend. Is this correct?

I'm still looking around online and I can't determine if amending was the right thing to do or not. My first return was accept and refund received. I got the letter telling me to into the 1095a by filing form 8962 AFTER i filed initially. I'm trying to correct this.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can undo your amended return because you haven't mailed it out yet. Here's information on how to fill out form 8962 for 2019. Please keep in mind when handling the 8962 form. 

• Respond promptly. 

• If you disagree with the IRS, respond with an explanation—and with the item(s) they're requesting. 

• You don't need to complete or send a Form 1040X (amended tax return) to the IRS. 

• Send page 2 of your 1040 only if the refund or owed amount has changed. 

Please refer to the article below for instructions on how to fill out an 8962 form. 

The IRS is requesting Form 8962 for 2019 - Community 

It seems I've made this mistake as well, and forgot to add my 1095-A information when I originally submitted my federal return, which was accepted.  I received a letter LTR 12C saying I need to submit an 8962 and 1095-A, and not to amend / respond with 1040X.

I used the search tool and there were several answers spanning several years (2016, 2018, etc) most of which suggest "adding a state" (but not really) but the instructions don't seem to work any longer.  It seems as though I  can't actually view the updated return without filing it first unless I'm just missing it.   Perhaps some of the steps have changed since that time and they're outdated.

"Send page 2 of your 1040 only if the refund or owed amount has changed."

I did end up going in and adding the 1095 as if I were amending the already accepted federal return (though I understand I'm not supposed to) and the refund has indeed changed.  However, there does not seem to be a way to print this updated 1040 or even view it without filing it... and when I decline to submit (because we aren't supposed to amend) and go to the home screen,  it only shows the old, outdated, and incorrect return that I originally filed.

I tried adding a state tax (our state does not have an income tax so I didn't file one) and again, same problem -- can't view the updated 1040 without first filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies