Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Apply ITIN for my wife. How long will it take ?

Hi, 

The telephone assistance is up and running again. I was able to talk to the representative to get the status of my daughter's ITIN application/Tax return which was filed/sent on 6th of March - looks like it is not in the system yet due to the delays and was asked to call back in a couple of weeks time.

Try your luck. Wait times are long ~60 minutes.

Thanks

What number did you try

Unable to share the link - look for - 

"ITIN Updated Procedures Frequently Asked Questions" - you will find the number in there

I have tried calling multiple times. but no luck. It was saying call volume is high try next day.

What different you did ? what all options you selected. 

Hi,

All you need to do is select option 2 for ITIN status. Yes - it would come back saying volumes are high - you need to keep trying or call the other day.

Did you fallow the same order Or you changed any thing?

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions." 

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.
Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Did you update any thing

Unable to share the link - look for - 

"ITIN Updated Procedures Frequently Asked Questions" - you will find the number in there

any luck for the ITIN processing or tax process? 

No updates unfortunately...

Nope. still the same.

no update - I called IRS customer care last week, They could not found details in the system.  I was told to wait for couple of weeks.

same here no luck. 

@roy2020 @rinagill @da38778163 In the same boat as everyone..

Applied ITIN for my dependents and filed the Federal Tax return in Paper along with it in an IRS office on Feb 18th, 2020. Its been around 14 weeks and haven't got an update on ITIN number or the Federal returns yet.

I also understand that I am eligible for the Stimulus Package and Since this is my first year in US, there is no prior Tax history and therefore the Stimulus package status is also unknown.

Can I expect the stimulus package to be included along with the Federal returns? or In general, how is the stimulus packages returned to people in our scenario? Any thoughts would be really helpful, thanks in advance.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If you have not yet filed a tax return in the U.S., and this is your first return, you will not be qualified for the economic impact payment if you have a spouse with an ITIN.   

The IRS will need to process your tax return to determine final eligibility if no other return is on file and currently they are not processing returns file by mail.  We are not sure when normal operations and processing will resume. 

Should the IRS process your return before the end of the year, they may process your economic impact payment shortly after your normal refund but I would not expect that they will be combined into one deposit.

If they are unable to process your return in time to issue an advance payment to you, the credit will be available when you file a return in 2020 provided you file with only qualifying social security numbers listed for the filers on the return.  An ITIN for the primary taxpayer or spouse will disqualify you for the credit.

@santhoz

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies