Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sinewavesurfer
Returning Member

Amended 2019 federal return is automatically populating with old 2018 federal return data.

In my original 2018 return, I elected to go with itemized deductions instead of the standard mileage deduction for my rideshare income due a math error on my part when tabulating all costs vs mileage. Unfortunately, once you make this election, you're locked in for that deduction on all future tax returns. Once I realized my mistake, I subsequently filed an amendment for 2018 to revert to the standard mileage deduction, which was successfully confirmed by a letter from the IRS in Sept 2021.

Now, when I go to make the same amendment to my 2019 return, it automatically populates the original 2018 return with the itemized deductions as opposed to the standard mileage in the amended return, and there's no other way for me to manually change it. I've attempted to amend my 2019 return via the online portal and through the desktop application, but both automatically import the old 2018 return instead of the amended one.

Additionally, trying to "trick" the desktop application into accepting my 2019 amendment by disconnecting from the internet and manually entering all the data myself doesn't work because the application requires internet access in order to function.

All of these returns and amendments were done through TurboTax Self-Employed Online.

How do I amend my 2019 return with the amended 2018 data?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Amended 2019 federal return is automatically populating with old 2018 federal return data.

You may be mixing up different concepts ... you choose the standard deduction OR  itemized deductions (sch A)   and you can  choose the better option each and every tax year.

Then the mileage deduction on the Sch C ... you can choose the standard mileage rate  OR  the actual expenses option for the vehicle expenses.   If you start the vehicle with the actual expenses option you are STUCK with that choice for the life of that vehicle.   If you had started with the standard mileage rate in the year you placed it in service then you can flip flop between the 2 options as you like.  

sinewavesurfer
Returning Member

Right, that's what I amended in the 2018 return. On Schedule C, I changed from the actual itemized costs to the mileage deduction. And I wanna do the same for the 2019 return, but it's not letting me because it still thinks I'm stuck with the actual costs instead of what I amended it to. 

And sorry you can not amend 2019 by using the 2018 amended return.   You have to start with the original 2019 return and manually make all the changes.   You can't import the changes from 2018.   

Don't confuse itemized deductions on schedule A with your business expenses/deductions on schedule C. They are separate. For Schedule A personal deductions, you get to take your itemized deductions or the standard deduction, whichever is larger.  Itemized deductions are things like Medical, Gifts to Charity, State Income Taxes Paid, Mortgage Interest, Property Taxes, Car Registration fees, etc.

You get to take both,  your business expenses AND the Standard Deduction (or your personal Itemized Deductions).  And you have to enter your business expenses.  Be aware, if you have self employment income you can get in trouble for not reporting all your expenses to qualify for the EIC.

Once you started the amendment process you will need to delete the vehicle and enter it again to make that change. 

sinewavesurfer
Returning Member

Right, that's what I amended in the 2018 return. On Schedule C, I changed from the actual itemized costs/expenses to the mileage deduction. And I wanna do the same for the 2019 return, but it's not letting me because it still thinks I'm stuck with the actual costs instead of what I amended it to. 

sinewavesurfer
Returning Member

That solution seems almost too simple to work. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes but I still feel like the application will block that sort of workaround.

Here's to hoping this fixes it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies