Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I mailed in my paper return over 6 weeks ago and haven't received it yet. I tried tracking it on the website but nothing shows up. Can i get in contact with someone?

How long potentially could my return take? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

57 Replies

I mailed in my paper return over 6 weeks ago and haven't received it yet. I tried tracking it on the website but nothing shows up. Can i get in contact with someone?

4 weeks after you print and mail it,  you can start checking IRS Where's my refund     <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/refunds/">https://www.irs.gov/refunds/</a>

Make sure you are using the refund amount from your actual federal tax return and not the combined amount Turbo Tax showed you at the end.  That was for federal and state combined.

Did you also mail a state return?  Did you mail them in separate envelopes?  They go to different places.  Did you get a tracking number from the post office when you mailed it?
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If it's been longer than 21 days since you filed your return, consider contacting the IRS directly to inquire about the status of your tax return.  You will find the contact number listed in the TurboTax FAQ below:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302084

If it’s been

·         21 days or more since you e-filed

·         6 weeks or more since you mailed your return

·         Or if the IRS’s Where's My Refund page tells you to contact them

Then the IRS asks that you call them at these numbers

·         For individuals: 800-829-1040

·         For businesses: 800-829-4933

·         For those with hearing impairments: TTY/TDD 800-829-4059

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MFB11

Having the same problem myself. I filed February 20th, mailed my stuff in...THREE times now! Each time paying the postal service fees. I can't get a hold of anyone over the phone from IRS, and the online system keeps coming back with nothing found. It's the most frustrating experience I've ever had with filing my taxes. It shouldn't be this **bleep** difficult. At this point, I don't know what to do. The government owes me money... 

Did you send it with Tracking info from the Post Office?  Sounds like you are mailing it to the wrong place.    Did you also mail a state return?  Where are you mailing it to?

MFB11

The IRS, USPS, and TurboTax have provided different addresses. I have an Ohio and Federal tax return. Does anyone know the correct addresses for those? Thanks in advance.

MFB11

Also, will I be penalized for turning in my return paperwork late? The rest has been completed online.

Well of course Federal and state go in separate envelopes to different places.  You can probably find Ohio address on the Ohio state website.

Here is where to mail a Federal return from Ohio

https://www.irs.gov/filing/ohio-where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals 

WHOA!  What do you mean the rest has been completed online?  Did you efile?  

If you are getting a refund there is no penalty for filing late.  You can efile until Oct 15, 2019.  You have 3 years to file to get a refund.  

Ok ... in the FILE tab if you choose to mail in the returns the filing instructions pages for the fed & state returns will be part of the PDF file ... and it includes the correct mailing address for where you live for each return.

If you have mailed in the return multiple times then your return may be held up if the IRS believes there is income tax fraud happening.

If the return has been processing for more than 21 days then you can call the IRS …
Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions." It should then transfer you to an agent.
Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1

If it's been more than 90 days since the return was accepted then you can ask for help from the Tax Payer Advocate office:
At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

If you are unsuccessful with the Taxpayer Advocate for your area, you can also try the special IRS phone number for the Taxpayer Advocate Service at 877-777-4778.

More info on the Taxpayer Advocate Service:
http://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/about/who-we-are

http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Taxpayer-Advocate-Service-6

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works:
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

fastpatty
Returning Member

I mailed in my paper return over 6 weeks ago and haven't received my Oregon refund check.  I tried tracking it on the website but nothing shows.  I know that others filed after I did and have received there paper check in the mail

fastpatty
Returning Member

This is not the Federal check.

fastpatty
Returning Member

No, I owe on my Federal.  I mailed my tax returns to the State

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@fastpatty Have you tried tracking your state refund on Oregon's Department of Revenue website? How do I track my Oregon tax refund?

If you're unable to track it online, you can also reach out to them via telephone. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am sure the IRS has reduced employees on site to process tax returns right now. I mailed my Federal and Idaho State return on February 11th. The Idaho website shows that it has been received and being processed. However the Federal one does not show any update, now going on 9 weeks. What should I do in this case?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies