turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wife owes back child support so MARRIED FILING SEPARATE. She has no income, should I claim her as a dependent or will they take my return to pay her dues?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Wife owes back child support so MARRIED FILING SEPARATE. She has no income, should I claim her as a dependent or will they take my return to pay her dues?

Your wife cannot be your dependent.  

The IRS makes it clear that you cannot claim your spouse as a dependent on your tax return in Publication 1 exemptions, standard deduction and Filing information. 

It says, "Your spouse is never considered your dependent." 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Your wife cannot be your dependent.  

The IRS makes it clear that you cannot claim your spouse as a dependent on your tax return in Publication 1 exemptions, standard deduction and Filing information. 

It says, "Your spouse is never considered your dependent." 

I’m sorry I am mistaken, it’s a “personal exemption” that I’m not sure about. It says something along the lines of:
do any of these apply
Spouse has no income
Spouse won’t file a tax return
Spouse can not be claimed by anyone

So my question is, if I select the 3 options above and claim her as a “personal exemption” will they take my refund to pay her back child support?

That is same as a dependent (personal exemption) as they are used interchangeably.   Can't claim her, so 2nd part of question is mute (but if you had a dependent or personal exemption that owed money it is NOT offset only the primary filers on the return.

Ok. Thank you so much for your time @TurboTaxMichaelL1
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies