Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dpinnh

My 2018 Taxable income was 98k. According to the federal tax bracketts I am in the 24% tax brackett, yet I paid 16.22%. Why? Not complaining, just planning.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 2018 Taxable income was 98k. According to the federal tax bracketts I am in the 24% tax brackett, yet I paid 16.22%. Why? Not complaining, just planning.

Your tax bracket is the top rate that a part of your income is taxed.  So if you are single, the entire $98K is not taxed at 24% only a portion of it is, the tax bracket also does not account for any credits you may receive.  

Your income is taxed in levels. So your effective tax rate is 16.22%

The first $9525 is taxed @10% 

The amount between $9,525 and $38,700 is taxed at 

From $38,700 to $82,500 is taxed at 22%.  The amount over the $82,500 is the only part that is taxed at 24% in your case if you're single. 

See link below.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/current-federal-tax-rate-schedules/L7Bjs1EAD

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Your tax bracket is the top rate that a part of your income is taxed.  So if you are single, the entire $98K is not taxed at 24% only a portion of it is, the tax bracket also does not account for any credits you may receive.  

Your income is taxed in levels. So your effective tax rate is 16.22%

The first $9525 is taxed @10% 

The amount between $9,525 and $38,700 is taxed at 

From $38,700 to $82,500 is taxed at 22%.  The amount over the $82,500 is the only part that is taxed at 24% in your case if you're single. 

See link below.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/current-federal-tax-rate-schedules/L7Bjs1EAD

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies