turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

golf3992

Have 12k in real estate taxes, 30k in state inc taxes & 30k in interest. Can I not report any state tx because I am getting a refund, do not want to declare it as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Have 12k in real estate taxes, 30k in state inc taxes & 30k in interest. Can I not report any state tx because I am getting a refund, do not want to declare it as income?

Yes, you can opt to use Standard Deduction instead of itemizing. When you do that, any State refund is not taxable.
golf3992

Don't want standard, want itemized. 24k std and 42k itemized.
golf3992

30k in interest and 10k max SALT well in excess of 24k standard.

Your question: "Can I not report any state tx because I am getting a refund, do not want to declare it as income?" I directly addressed that. Another option: Choose Sales Tax vs. SALT deduction. Those are the only two ways to make a State refund not taxable.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies