turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W-2G. ny lottery What should I put in 18. Name of locality. Also where do I put in the 2,500.00 in itemized deductions to show I spent this on gambling. Steve Monahan

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

W-2G. ny lottery What should I put in 18. Name of locality. Also where do I put in the 2,500.00 in itemized deductions to show I spent this on gambling. Steve Monahan

You should enter exactly what's on your form W-2G; you don't need to add state/locality information if it's not reported.  Your resident state will automatically account for this income. To enter your losses for the itemized deductions, answer the questions after you enter form W-2G and the software will ask about all of your losses for the itemized deductions. If you missed them, you can head back in and add them.

To get back to the W-2G Gambling Winnings/Losses section, login and follow below steps:

1. Click 'Take me to my return'
  2. Click 'Federal Taxes' and then 'Wages & Income' 
  3. Scroll down to the last section 'Less Common Income' and click 'Show more'
  4. Click 'Start' or 'Revisit' next to Gambling Winnings

Let me know if you have questions.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmandaR1

You should enter exactly what's on your form W-2G; you don't need to add state/locality information if it's not reported.  Your resident state will automatically account for this income. To enter your losses for the itemized deductions, answer the questions after you enter form W-2G and the software will ask about all of your losses for the itemized deductions. If you missed them, you can head back in and add them.

To get back to the W-2G Gambling Winnings/Losses section, login and follow below steps:

1. Click 'Take me to my return'
  2. Click 'Federal Taxes' and then 'Wages & Income' 
  3. Scroll down to the last section 'Less Common Income' and click 'Show more'
  4. Click 'Start' or 'Revisit' next to Gambling Winnings

Let me know if you have questions.

saraspring500
Returning Member

W-2G nothing listed in Box 18.  Turbo Tax reporting this as an error in my review.  Unable to proceed.  Please advise what I should do.  I have two NYS W-2G's that list nothing in box 18.  Unable to contact the Lottery Office as you cannot speak to a real person. 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Your state is NY so there are NY localities that sometimes come into play.  Since that is not the case for you, be sure that nothing is in boxes 16 or 17.  Delete/backspace and even click the trashcan at the end of the line.  Sometimes a stray space may have shown up. 

If that doesn't clear it, try using XXX in the locality box with zeros in boxes 16 and 17.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies