Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trishd67

On the NJ return - In other wage adjustments - w2 (I live in ny work in nj) - what do I put here? I have box 12 - C ; D; Y; DD do any of these need to go on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

On the NJ return - In other wage adjustments - w2 (I live in ny work in nj) - what do I put here? I have box 12 - C ; D; Y; DD do any of these need to go on?

You shouldn't need to make additional adjustments.  New Jersey does include a few additional items in taxable income that are not included on either your New York or your Federal return.  The fact that your W-2 already reflects the variance is a strong indicator that your company has already reported these amounts to NJ for tax considerations.  You shouldn't need to have to do anything more.  

For more information on what income is taxable in NJ, please click on the following link:  

NJ Division of Taxation - NJ Income Tax Wages - State of New Jersey
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Look at the two lines in Box 15 on your w2 for NY and NJ.  Do they have the same amounts or different amounts?

NJ has 2k more in box 16.

Thank you so much!
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You're welcome
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You're welcome
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You shouldn't need to make additional adjustments.  New Jersey does include a few additional items in taxable income that are not included on either your New York or your Federal return.  The fact that your W-2 already reflects the variance is a strong indicator that your company has already reported these amounts to NJ for tax considerations.  You shouldn't need to have to do anything more.  

For more information on what income is taxable in NJ, please click on the following link:  

NJ Division of Taxation - NJ Income Tax Wages - State of New Jersey
ErinL

Do I need to submit my 403-B contributions? 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

It depends on whether you have New Jersey wages reported on your W-2.

If your W-2 says NJ in Box 15 and has an amount in Box 16 then your 403(b) contribution should be included in NJ income because NJ does not allow you to deduct 403(b) contributions.

Check this. Box 16 should be close to the amount of Box 1 + Box 12 Code E (you may have other adjustments).

If your W-2 has another state and no NJ, then yes, add your 403(b) contribution as an adjustment.

@ErinL 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies