turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

haas-heye

How do we file married separately, if we rec'd 1095-A? Wife is self-employed with 1099misc; I am on her Obama health plan as spouse; how is 1095-A info entered?

In Forms, by selecting "What-if Worksheet", I can see a distinct advantage to filing MFS versus MFJ, by checking the box near the top of the page.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

How do we file married separately, if we rec'd 1095-A? Wife is self-employed with 1099misc; I am on her Obama health plan as spouse; how is 1095-A info entered?

You need to report that this policy was shared with someone not on the tax return.

You and your wife will need to decide what percentage each of you should report. The percentage can be anything from 0-100%. Each of you will get your percentage share of any overpayment, or owe more if you underpaid for the insurance.

First, you need a copy of the 1095-A. 

You need to enter everything exactly as it is listed on the 1095-A. 

To enter all this in TurboTax: 

• Type "form 1095-A" in the Search box, then select Jump to form 1095-A.  

• When you get to Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016, click Yes.  

• Under What type of plan were you enrolled in, select Obamacare plan.  

• Enter the information on your 1095-A, then click Continue.  

• Under Do any of these situations apply, check Shared this policy with another taxpayer who is not on my taxes.  

• Under Since this is a shared policy, we need to know how to allocate the policy amounts, enter your percentage amount in each of the three boxes for Premium, SLCSP and PTC. (Click on the screenshot below for an image.)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

You need to report that this policy was shared with someone not on the tax return.

You and your wife will need to decide what percentage each of you should report. The percentage can be anything from 0-100%. Each of you will get your percentage share of any overpayment, or owe more if you underpaid for the insurance.

First, you need a copy of the 1095-A. 

You need to enter everything exactly as it is listed on the 1095-A. 

To enter all this in TurboTax: 

• Type "form 1095-A" in the Search box, then select Jump to form 1095-A.  

• When you get to Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016, click Yes.  

• Under What type of plan were you enrolled in, select Obamacare plan.  

• Enter the information on your 1095-A, then click Continue.  

• Under Do any of these situations apply, check Shared this policy with another taxpayer who is not on my taxes.  

• Under Since this is a shared policy, we need to know how to allocate the policy amounts, enter your percentage amount in each of the three boxes for Premium, SLCSP and PTC. (Click on the screenshot below for an image.)

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies