turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"You had ABP Interest Adjustment" - Deluxe Required

Hi, TurboTax is saying I need to upgrade to deluxe because "You had ABP Interest Adjustment". What does this mean and where do I find this adjustment amount? Last year I did not need Deluxe and nothing in my financial situation has changed--same job, same bank, same investments, etc.  
My income sources for this return are: W-2, 1099-INT (x2), 1099-DIV.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

"ABP" is an amortized bond premium. This means you purchased a bond at a certain price above  par. For example, you paid  $1870 for an $1800 bond. 

Did you import your 1099-INTs or enter them manually? In either case, did you have an entry (even a $0) in Line 11 of either 1099-INT?

If you had a positive entry (>$0) on Line 11 of your 1099-INT, you will have an ABP interest adjustment. The TurboTax program will prompt you to upgrade since this adjustment cannot be calculated or reported using TurboTax Free Edition (Online). 

If you had a "$0" on Line 11 of your 1099-INT, you don't have an ABP interest adjustment, but the program thinks you do. You would have to delete the Form 1099 and re-enter it in the 1099-INT interview - any Lines with a "$0" amount should be left blank (i.e. don't type in a "0"). 

See our AnswerXchange article How do I delete forms in TurboTax Online?

If you did have a positive number in Line 11 of either 1099-INT and it is a very small amount (e.g. <$10), you may decide to remove the amount (using "Delete a Form" tool); this will not change your tax return in any material way and would allow you to avoid the upgrade.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
calebs96

Note: deleting the "0" entries from the 1099-DIV form is not good enough.  You need to go into MyAccount ->Tools -> Delete a Form and remove the erroneous Schedule B that was created when the "0" entries were there.
jgiwicki

Had an empty 1099-DIV accidentally included and received the same error.  Deleted form and still get the same error statement.  Only have 1099-R and 1099-INT.  This is ridiculous...
ToddL

"ABP" is an amortized bond premium. This means you purchased a bond at a certain price above  par. For example, you paid  $1870 for an $1800 bond. 

Did you import your 1099-INTs or enter them manually? In either case, did you have an entry (even a $0) in Line 11 of either 1099-INT?

If you had a positive entry (>$0) on Line 11 of your 1099-INT, you will have an ABP interest adjustment. The TurboTax program will prompt you to upgrade since this adjustment cannot be calculated or reported using TurboTax Free Edition (Online). 

If you had a "$0" on Line 11 of your 1099-INT, you don't have an ABP interest adjustment, but the program thinks you do. You would have to delete the Form 1099 and re-enter it in the 1099-INT interview - any Lines with a "$0" amount should be left blank (i.e. don't type in a "0"). 

See our AnswerXchange article How do I delete forms in TurboTax Online?

If you did have a positive number in Line 11 of either 1099-INT and it is a very small amount (e.g. <$10), you may decide to remove the amount (using "Delete a Form" tool); this will not change your tax return in any material way and would allow you to avoid the upgrade.

It would be more helpful if you told us what ABP stands for.
ToddL

Thank you for the suggestion - I updated the answer.

"if it is a very small amount .... remove the amount" is there an amount that is mandatory to report? Total all of mine amounted to $57, so I deleted them because they were small amounts like the answer suggested I could.
wmark443

TurboTaxToddL's suggestion worked for me - deleted the "$0" in line 11 of the auto-imported 1099-INT info in my return and then it allowed me to file for me. That's a pretty sketchy "bug" though.....getting people all the way to the end of the process and then throwing a vague "Error! you need to pay $35+ for DELUXE" for something that was likely caused by their own auto-import process....
erhindman

Deleting $0 from line 11 did not work for me... what else can I do?
ToddL

Did you delete the Form completely and then re-enter it in the interview?
erhindman

Hi Todd, I tried both - I deleted the $0 amounts from the form. When that did not work, I deleted the entire form and re-entered using the interview.
ToddL

What was the total interest reported on this 1099?
erhindman

$0.06
ToddL

Just delete the Form 1099-INT altogether - it won't have any effect on your tax return.
erhindman

Todd - I cleared all of my information and started from scratch - I think its working this time
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies