Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scattin

Can I deduct the entire cost of major, unexpected repairs ($7,100) I had to pay for my only tractor; which is essential to daily operations in the buisness?

I know I can not deduct repaires to a personal automobile, but this is to machinery essential for my tree farm buisness to operate
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct the entire cost of major, unexpected repairs ($7,100) I had to pay for my only tractor; which is essential to daily operations in the buisness?

Yes, you will be able to take the entire amount, however, read below as you may be limited to $2,500 as an expense, then capitalize the rest, but use Section 179 to write off that remaining amount. 

IRS has a what is called a "safe harbor rule" where up to $2,500 of repairs can be deducted from one invoice.  

There is also a provision I listed below where if the cost of the tractor is substantial then the lesser or 2% of its unadjusted basis or up to $10,000 can be written off. 

"repairs, maintenance, and improvements do not have to be capitalized if they do not exceed the lesser of $10,000 or 2% of the unadjusted basis of the asset, and the unadjusted basis of the asset itself cannot exceed $1 million."

Lastly, if you do not meet the 2nd provision, write off the $2,500, and capitalize the remaining amount and then take a Section 179 deduction for the remaining amount which is deducting it all anyway. 

A repair is a necessary maintenance to keep the property in working condition. The IRS defines repairs as those that “do not add significant value to the property or extend its life.”

When something is repaired, it is generally restored to its previous good condition, not improved upon.

Repairs can usually be completed for a reasonable amount of money.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you will be able to take the entire amount, however, read below as you may be limited to $2,500 as an expense, then capitalize the rest, but use Section 179 to write off that remaining amount. 

IRS has a what is called a "safe harbor rule" where up to $2,500 of repairs can be deducted from one invoice.  

There is also a provision I listed below where if the cost of the tractor is substantial then the lesser or 2% of its unadjusted basis or up to $10,000 can be written off. 

"repairs, maintenance, and improvements do not have to be capitalized if they do not exceed the lesser of $10,000 or 2% of the unadjusted basis of the asset, and the unadjusted basis of the asset itself cannot exceed $1 million."

Lastly, if you do not meet the 2nd provision, write off the $2,500, and capitalize the remaining amount and then take a Section 179 deduction for the remaining amount which is deducting it all anyway. 

A repair is a necessary maintenance to keep the property in working condition. The IRS defines repairs as those that “do not add significant value to the property or extend its life.”

When something is repaired, it is generally restored to its previous good condition, not improved upon.

Repairs can usually be completed for a reasonable amount of money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies