turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if tax-exempt dividends are from multiple funds, each including 48 different states? Each fund lists % for each state. Do i have to do all the math and enter all 48?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

What if tax-exempt dividends are from multiple funds, each including 48 different states? Each fund lists % for each state. Do i have to do all the math and enter all 48?

Yes, you have to do the math yourself...unless you tag it all as "More than one state" in the top box.  (that is allowed, but could result in more taxes in your state)

BUT>>>NO, not every state.....You only do your own state and any US territories.

See the example below for an NC resident.

IF for a 1099-DIV form, box 11:
1)  IL does not allow you to do the breakdown, and all of it must be tagged as "More than one state"

2)  CA does not allow the breakdown unless the bond fund itself holds at least 50% of it's bond "assets" as CA-issued bonds or as US Government bonds.  " If the mutual fund has at least 50% of its assets invested in tax-exempt U.S. obligations and/or in California or its municipal obligations, that amount of dividend is exempt from California tax"

3)  For a Mutual Bond Fund, MN does not allow the breakdown unless 95% of the interest received was from MN-issued bonds.

4)  A full breakdown is allowed for any state for individual bonds you own that are reported on a 1099-INT box 8..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies