turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

addie0830

Can i claim my 21 year old daughter who is s a full time student and her baby and live with me are on Medicaid as dependents without fear of losing their benefits?

we live in Colorado.  my daughter had a baby in December of 2018 and lives with us full time.  she does not work but goes to school full time.  she was on Medicaid last year and her baby just got on it in February.  can we claim them as dependents with having them loose the medicaid benefits?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can i claim my 21 year old daughter who is s a full time student and her baby and live with me are on Medicaid as dependents without fear of losing their benefits?

Yes, you can claim your daughter and her child without fear of losing their benefits. 

You qualify to claim both as your children because they both meet the requirements:

*            be your child (or adoptive or foster child), sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild; 

*            be under age 19, or under age 24 and a full-time student for at least five months of the year; or be permanently disabled, regardless of age; 

*            have lived with you for more than half the year; and

*            have provided no more than half his or her own support for the year.

When completing the portions pertaining to your new grandchild, make sure you report they lived with you for the entire year/12 months. Even though they weren't alive for the entire year, they have lived with you for the entirety of their life. 

For more information, follow this link: Turbo Tax on Dependents

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you can claim your daughter and her child without fear of losing their benefits. 

You qualify to claim both as your children because they both meet the requirements:

*            be your child (or adoptive or foster child), sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild; 

*            be under age 19, or under age 24 and a full-time student for at least five months of the year; or be permanently disabled, regardless of age; 

*            have lived with you for more than half the year; and

*            have provided no more than half his or her own support for the year.

When completing the portions pertaining to your new grandchild, make sure you report they lived with you for the entire year/12 months. Even though they weren't alive for the entire year, they have lived with you for the entirety of their life. 

For more information, follow this link: Turbo Tax on Dependents

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies