Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zaronson

Turbotax is not letting me E file my New York State taxes but New York state does not allow you to mail it in! My federal return was E files and accepted.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

109 Replies

Turbotax is not letting me E file my New York State taxes but New York state does not allow you to mail it in! My federal return was E files and accepted.

Yes, while New York generally requires you to e-file, there is an exception if the software does not allow for e-file.

Because New York has a higher standard for identity verification that the IRS, it has become common for federal tax returns to be accepted for e-file and NY state tax returns to be rejected. 

If you are NOT including a payment, mail your return to:

STATE PROCESSING CENTER
PO BOX 61000
ALBANY NY 12261-0001

If you ARE including a payment (check or money order), mail your return (including Form IT-201-V) to:

STATE PROCESSING CENTER
PO BOX 15555
ALBANY NY 12212-5555

I am sorry. I know it's easier to e-file. 

zaronson

Its frustrating that Turbotax can't tell me what on my return is causing the problem.  My taxes are not very complex.  

I am sorry. I suspect identity verification. New York is in the processing of updating the security on their system, so there have some hiccups.
zaronson

How can I request at least a partial refund for my New York State return from Turbotax?  I feel I was misled and the fact that TurboTax doesn't even know whats going on entitles me to a refund.
menbutron

same here , I can't e file my new york state and turbo tax can not figure out why

Me also--my taxes are not very complicated, but I cannot efile, and neither the software OR turbotax customer service know why.

Again, I think the rejections are based on the computer issues reported by the New York Department of Revenue. We have seen a significant number in the tax returns rejected for e-file this year. Hopefully, the planned computer upgrades will resolve these issues

Except that my return wasn't "rejected"--I am not being given the option to e-file it at all.  So this piece isn't on the NYS end....

I am on the same boat with you guys, I and my wife are still working under the same company... nothing has changed other than we moved out of NY City county...

I feel better after I read the comments from this page, I thought I did something wrong... and of course, I have called TurboTax CS and they also confirmed I did everything correctly but can't tell the reason why I can't do the e-filing... for the state only.

i have the same issue..my taxes are not at all complicated either so this perplexes me... i've never had this issue with turbotax for the past years and i don't understand why it's happening.

same issue for me - this is a huge pain in the butt.

I had the same problem as well. I was able to fix it by deleting any "0s" that I entered for non-applicable fields. I think the system processes "0s" as invalid numbers. I hope this helps!

Cassandra thats the answer right there....Go through entire state return and remove 0's and it will then allow you to efile. I believe the 0 is showing as actually numbers, so just leave blank.

I am also having the same issue. And when going through my options, it keeps choosing “Yes” for the question that asks if I need to file a NYC form due to working in the city and not living there. I have never lived nor worked in the city so I am not sure why I chose no and it switches back to yes. I’m frustrated. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies