turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

s2ary

With Turbo tax self employed, can I file jointly with my wife and still file as an independent contractor?

Can I file self employed/ independent contractor and jointly with my wife with Turbo Tax self employed? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

With Turbo tax self employed, can I file jointly with my wife and still file as an independent contractor?

Yes that's how it works and how you file.  You file a Joint personal return and include Schedule C for self employment.  Did you get any 1099Misc or just cash income?

To fill out Self Employed income and expenses 

• Type schedule c in the Search box in top right corner and hit enter
  • Click on jump to schedule c and this should bring you to the Did you have any income and expenses for a business in 2016? screen and you choose Yes there and follow the prompts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes that's how it works and how you file.  You file a Joint personal return and include Schedule C for self employment.  Did you get any 1099Misc or just cash income?

To fill out Self Employed income and expenses 

• Type schedule c in the Search box in top right corner and hit enter
  • Click on jump to schedule c and this should bring you to the Did you have any income and expenses for a business in 2016? screen and you choose Yes there and follow the prompts.
Carl
Level 15

Yes.

Just to be clear on this ... My husband has a W-2 and I will only have a 1099 with schedule C ... The Turbo Tax  Self Employed will work for us to file jointly?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Online Self-employed will allow you to file married filing jointly.  You will be able to file a Schedule C reporting as income one or more 1099-NEC's.

See also here and here.

@RescrowTC

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies