Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sierrad09

I received short term disability and it is included in the W-2 I provided, is there anything else I need to add? I want to make sure I file that.

I don't see that the Short Term Disability amount is being added to my wages, is that how it's supposed to be?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

I received short term disability and it is included in the W-2 I provided, is there anything else I need to add? I want to make sure I file that.

Yes, if you entered all the information from your W-2 as it appears on your copy and accurately answered any follow-up questions regarding that income, you should be fine. You can always work through the W-2 entry again to be sure.

Disability payments may or may not be taxable. Did you pay for the short term disability or did your employer? If your employer paid for the policy then the income is taxable to you. If you paid the premiums with after tax dollars (not deducted from your income before your payroll taxes were calculated) the income is not taxable to you. If you shared the cost of the premiums, then only the portion your employer paid for needs to be reported as taxable income.

See this article for more info: Are Short Term Disability Claim Payments Considered Earnings?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies