Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wiz28

Can you claim someone if they live in another state but you take care of that person

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can you claim someone if they live in another state but you take care of that person

Yes, if all the other rules are met.

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,050 (2016-17)

3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

If the person is a child,  may qualify as a dependent, but because he is not related, he cannot be a qualifying child for the earned income credit or  child tax credit. There's an exception if you are the non custodial parent, you may claim the Child Tax credit, but not the EIC

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, if all the other rules are met.

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,050 (2016-17)

3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support*

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

If the person is a child,  may qualify as a dependent, but because he is not related, he cannot be a qualifying child for the earned income credit or  child tax credit. There's an exception if you are the non custodial parent, you may claim the Child Tax credit, but not the EIC

*If no one person (or married couple) provides 50% of the support (for example your siblings are also sending support), then a "multiple support agreement” (IRS Form 2120) can be used, to allow you to claim the dependent. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2120.pdf

Hlee1340
Returning Member

Hello there,

I’m from Sacramento, CA, and I just recently moved to Saint Paul, Minnesota this year. I’ve never seen or heard any of my friends or families about claiming someone from a different states. I’m not sure if I could claim my siblings from California for my income tax return. If anyone has any experience with this, please give me an answer. Thank you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies