turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gl23ub

I have interest income (about $3,000 worth) from fixed deposits in India. Where/how do I declare this information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
GeoffreyG

I have interest income (about $3,000 worth) from fixed deposits in India. Where/how do I declare this information?

With respect as to how to report earnings on your foreign bank accounts, the answer is that you will do this on a United States tax return just as you would as if the banks were domestic in nature instead of Indian (foreign).

In other words, whether or not you receive an actual US Form 1099-DIV (for dividends) or Form 1099-INT (for interest) you will simply "pretend" that you did, and proceed to enter your dividends and interest in that manner.  As such, you can can follow the mechanical data-entry instructions for each type of passive income, as described in each of the following links:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952456-where-do-i-enter-my-1099-div

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899701-where-do-i-enter-form-1099-int

If you also paid any foreign taxes on those dividends or interest, you can input that data on the very same 1099-DIV and 1099-INT input screens in TurboTax. There will be boxes provided there, in which you can indicate any foreign taxes paid.

As to any US - India bilateral tax agreement, that is beyond the scope and purview of this answer, as TurboTax employees are not presently allowed to provide this kind of international tax advice.  You would need to research this for yourself, and then determine how to implement any resolution.  That said, and toward that end, you may find a good starting point to be the (existing) US - India tax treaty of 1989, of which you can find a copy from the IRS.gov webpage here:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/international-businesses/india-tax-treaty-documents

Now then, reporting the income from your foreign financial accounts is one thing.  Reporting the existence of your foreign financial accounts is entirely another.  In other words, there is a "disclosure" requirement for every US taxpayer who holds assets in a non-US account financial account, even if the account or asset generates no taxable income.  This applies to mainland US citizens, territorial residents, and expats, including those who never return to the US, but still maintain their US citizenship.  Essentially, the government wants to know about your non-US assets -- how much and where you keep them.

In fact, there are two separate disclosure forms that may be required; each also has different reporting rules.  One is known as IRS Form 8938, and can be attached to the relevant yearly Form 1040 tax return.  The other is FinCen Form 114, which can only be filed via the internet.  The following Internal Revenue Service webpage describes them in some detail, and provides their dollar value reporting levels:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/comparison-of-form-8938-and-fbar-requirements

Form 8938 is included in TurboTax.  FinCen Form 114 is not included in TurboTax, and you would need to access that reporting webpage separately, if your foreign financial assets total over the limit(s).  Note that you can get to the FinCen reporting internet site directly through the above IRS link.

If you are asked about the specific schedule and line where your foreign interest and / or dividends are reported, you would answer that as follows.  For interest income it will be Form 1040, Schedule B, Line 1.  For dividend income it will be Form 1040, Schedule B, Line 5.

Thank you for asking this important question.
Nmistic89

This is great info! Am bookmarking your answer for future reference. Many thanks!

This is excellent info. Thank you so much!  While calculating the interest, I realized that the actual value of the fixed deposit has significantly reduced if I take FX rate into consideration. Is there a way this FX loss can be declared anywhere in Turbo Tax ?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You cannot claim unrealized gains or losses under U.S. tax law so if your fixed deposits simply lost value, you cannot claim a loss.

@brightlamp 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies