turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will not let me upload my Coinbase CSV file, what do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please make sure you are following these steps exactly, then it should work, How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase? - TurboTax

If this process does not work, please contact us by phone for additional assistance, What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

2. Select 2020 next to Gain/Loss Calculator

This step is impossible. Coinbase doesn't have the Gain/Loss Calculator any more. The only .csv file I can get from Coinbase has this header on the 8th line:

Timestamp,Transaction Type,Asset,Quantity Transacted,USD Spot Price at Transaction,USD Subtotal,USD Total (inclusive of fees),USD Fees,Notes

The only reason I was willing to pay for your service is because you claimed it "easily handles cryptocurrency gains and losses" on Coinbase's website. I am unable to file my taxes until this issue is resolved.

gwp1616

The Coinbase file does not contain headers, so the file will not upload

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Are you trying to download any transaction history files? Those files won't upload. Please refer to the following article for assistance with uploading the CSV file.

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

I keep getting "Access Denied" to the articles referenced?? I am running into the same dead end.Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 11.28.15 PM.png

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

If your file is not being imported as you expect, then you can enter the transactions in TurboTax Desktop. 

• In TurboTax Desktop you will enter Cryptocurrency as a Stock, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Otherunder Investment Income
  • In TurboTax Online you will find Cryptocurrency as a selection under Investment Income

Be prepared with the following information:

• Service name (examples: Coinbase)
  • Asset name (examples: Bitcoin, Ethereum)
  • Date of purchase
  • Cost basis
  • Date of sale
  • Sale proceeds

You can do a summary of long term and then short term combinations (long term holding is more than one year, short term holding is one year or less).  Make one entry for each. You can then send the worksheets or statement with Form 8949 after your return is accepted, attached to Form 8453.

• Long term is a holding period of more than one year and receives capital gain tax treatment (0%, 10%, 15%, 20% depending on your regular rate of tax)
  • Short term is a holding period of one year or less and receives ordinary gain tax treatment (your regular rate)

Columns should be similar to Form 8949 (grouped together by holding period): 

• Description
  • Date Acquired
  • Date Sold
  • Proceeds
  • Cost
  • Gain/Loss
    • Sale date can be the last date a sale occurred or 12/31/2020 
    • Purchase date can be 'Various' (Select Something other than a date
    • These worksheet can be filed after your tax return is accepted.  

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8453 to: 

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 

Receipt and Control Branch 

Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you need a blank Form 8453, you can download this pdf, enter your address information and check the box for Form 8949 (this form is really just a cover sheet). 

elonmusck9877
Returning Member

NO. Turbotax should support coinbase, not the other way around.  false advertisement.

Reported to bbb and ftc. Everyone do the same! Intuit has been abusing it's monopolistic power for way too long. The gov already knows how much we owe, but Intuit keeps on lobbying to keep filing tax complicated and difficult so it can stay in business and make billions from our time and suffering. how many lifetimes do we collectively waste every year just from typing W-2s into turbotax? and now we can't even report bitcoin transactions without stabbing ourselves in the left eye. We have no choice to but to file with Intuit or hr block and they know it. Watch hasan minhaj's episode "why doing taxes is so hard". Intuit provides 0 value to the society and should cease to exist. 

https://twitter.com/hasanminhaj/status/[phone number removed]7380225?lang=es

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies